Instagram: @____ysu____ Facebook: www.facebook.com/yysuooo Website: www.y-su.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in Taiwan, which is a sunny island surrounded by sea on all sides. I love collecting and making things, especially in love with weird stuff.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Creepy romance. I feel like my aesthetic is ever-changing and keeping evolving with my life experience, but whatever it goes it just diverging from the same core.
3. What is your favorite medium and why?It depends. I always find interesting in testing new ways. As for the painting materials, I love the features of acrylics, it allows me to apply thick layers on paper that makes me feel like building something real.
4. What is your artistic process like?Everything built up from my sketchbooks. As a portable mind map, it helps me remember and connect everything up. For personal stuff mostly I don’t set up a clear picture at the beginning. Just follow my mindstream. Uncertainties during the process are always charming.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Most of my ideas come from my own experience. I also got inspiration from books and films. The vintage black humor cartoons I saw in my childhood influenced me a lot in contents. For aesthetics, the brilliant colors settled in my works are inspired by the beautiful neon lights in my hometown. Unrealistic colors always make me feel like escaping from the real world.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I feel like art is an entrance to an invisible inner space where everything become jolly and closer.
7. Where did you study?I finished my MA degree in Communication Design, Illustration in London.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Do the same things probably. Be a freelancer and work in my own space. I’m also happy with any kind of works if they just come to me and trigger my interest.
9. What about in ten?Terrifying question for me because I’m not a person who plan things that far ahead. Just keep doing the right now things. Everything is possible.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to build up a shelter between adulthood and childhood. If it can give a thought, a giggle, or even just a pause from life I'll be glad.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I think hot pot is a kind of food I'll probably never get tired of. For drinks is coffee. Whatever I eat, end with a black coffee is the best.
12. Favourite book?It’s hard to choose one from that many genres in a moment, but an author just coming to my mind is called Etgar Keret. I'm obsessed with his fantastic short stories.
13. Favourite genre of music?It depends on the mood. I like exploring different genres of music. For work, rock music is my favorite. It always wakes me up, makes me feel happy and motivated.
14. What are your hobbies?In my spare time, I like taking pictures, playing music, swimming, reading... quite a lot. Sometimes I just take a walk without a destination and have fun in peeping around.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?If it wasn’t artistic stuff, I would probably want to run a little restaurant with my sister who is good at cooking. But the truth is I always make ‘creative dishes’ by accident. Sounds terrifying.