Instagram: @arualbounce Behance: www.behance.net/lauralhuil9037 Website: www.lauralhuillier.fr
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m Laura, Arual in the other way! I’m from the northern east of France, and I'm currently living in a little city named Chaumont. I grew up in a small village surrounded by forest and meadows where I developed a strong attachment to nature. Now, I’m working as a free lance graphic designer but I always wanted to become an illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My style is playful, childish and fun. I like using simple lines and working with colors and textures ! My heart always balances between pastel shades and vibrant tones.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I work mainly with gouache because it brings interesting effects of matter in my illustrations. I like the fact that the rendering is never perfect, that pretty errors get embedded in the drawings. More rarely I work on the computer, but I love creating imperfect forms. I think I have something against perfection.
4. What is your artistic process like?Most of the time, I paint my elements separately, then I scans them. Thanks to this working method I'm able to play with forms and change the composition infinitely. Sometimes if a scene comes to mind, I can paint it in its entirety. I use Photoshop at a second time to play with colour combinations.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?The nature inspires me enormously, the fauna, but especially the flora. I am a big fan of plants, I have plants everywhere in my home, I think this gives me ideas. But for me, inspiration can come from everywhere, a moment, a person or a memory.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art holds a huge place in my life, that's why I decided to study it ! I always like to create, draw, shape things. It calms me down and brings me to another world! It makes me more curious about all the details around me.
7. Where did you study?I started my studies with a baccalaureate in applied arts in Nancy. After that, I went to Toulouse for an higher degree in graphic design and digital media. A third year in advertising allowed me to develop my marketing and strategic culture. I’m currently finishing my studies with a master’s degree in graphic design in Chaumont and I’m pretty close to graduating.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I would like to work for myself in another country, to travel, discover things.
9. What about in ten?I would like to be in a tropical country, living with my plants and cats. I wish to have my own shop, where I can make products for kids!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I’m not sure I’m trying to achieve something because most of the time I just draw because I need it. I don’t have super powers, but if I could make people happier.. it would be perfect.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?For the fan of food that I am it's hard to choose a favorite thing, but I love everything my mom cook and I really love cheesecake, cheese too, watermelon and avocado, avocados are so good, don’t they?
12. Favourite book?I have never read a lot of books, I'm trying to change this. But I collect children's books, my favorite is "Le tigre qui voulait être roi" illustrated by JooHee Yoon.
13. Favourite genre of music?I like music in general, I don’t think I have a preference for a kind of music. When I draw, I listen to acoustic, relaxing, soft music, but I also like rap music.
14. What are your hobbies?I love taking care of my loving plants and decorating my little place. I also like going outside and taking pictures. I’m a huge fan of astronomy too! I love skateboarding, dancing, singing and.. is eating a hobby?
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think I might be a gardener. In any case I would like to work outside in contact with plants, I will be in my element. And in my wildest dreams, I always wanted to work for NASA, but I quickly realized it was just a dream.