Instagram: @bewoy Behance: www.behance.net/josselinbey Dribbble: www.dribbble.com/Jossbey Website: www.josselin-bey.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi! I am Bewoy! im a French motion designer/art director/illustrator. I have been living in Montreal, Canada for 7 years now :)
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic is very contrasted, I like things dark and simple, with a frank light but I can also express myself with a more colorful and geometric universe, as with the samurai series for example.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?As a motion designer, I like huge projection mapping and led screens. As an illustrator I think paper / posca suits me best.
4. What is your artistic process like?For illustrations or motion design I always start with a sketch of the basic idea or storyboard in a notebook. I then embark with the computer to put everything in clean, and be able to erase and start again at will.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I use a lot of my childhood memories, or rather memories of the perception of things I had as a child. I am also very inspired by other artist that I follow on instagram, behance, ballpitmag etc… I believe that depending on the project, everything can be a source of inspiration.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?As an artist, art takes 100% place in my life, even without realizing it, I always notice the details that I take to inspire me. I can no longer watch film without thinking at the same time how the plan is made. Art has changed the way I view the world since I can make a living out of it. I never feel like i am working, I have a lot of fun, I draw, I animate some pixels, and I am paid for this!
7. Where did you study?I did not do long studies in relation to what I do today, I learned everything by “self-education” in the evening after day-work.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Around the world, with bigger and bigger projects. With my wife and maybe a kid?!
9. What about in ten?Haha thatʼs too far for me!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?What i like the most when I do animations for shows or vj, is to see the reactions of people. I think what I want is to bring emotions to people for a moment. It makes me happy.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Sushis, Corden bleu, mashed potatoes, carbonara pasta, lasagna…Nothing that fancy!
12. Favourite book?Itʼs an old book for children that my great grandmother gave me when i was a child. itʼs : le chant de la foret. I still have it.
13. Favourite genre of music?From french rap to Charles Aznavour…passing by electro music… no limit.
14. What are your hobbies?I have too much hobbies that stay for a week, then i change for another one. For now it is my new camera drone from DJI, I like to make it fly and take good shots.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Sad, i guess. :)