Instagram: @bhattchin Facebook: www.facebook.com/bhattchin SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/bhattchin BandCamp: bhattchin.bandcamp.com/releases
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Sachin Bhatt, but when it comes to my music or art I usually go by bhattchin. I’m a 19 year old student from Bangalore, India. I’ve been making art ever since I can remember. My entire childhood was spent drawing annoying comics and scribbling on desks.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I’d like to think of my aesthetic as to be of someone that’s just absorbed way, way too much pop culture. It’s basically this strange gumbo of rock & roll, psychedelia and a lot of sushi.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I draw all my stuff using my finger on an iPod Touch. The screen is miniscule and it’s incredibly inconvenient but I love it and can’t let it go. It makes no sense. I dig ballpoint pens, too.
4. What is your artistic process like?It starts with phrases that I keep in my notes or something that I pick up from a song that I’m currently jamming to and its starts to take form from there.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Music. It’s always music. An idea for an illustration will usually come to me when I’m just walking around alone with my headphones on. Tyler the Creator and Basquiat is a big influencer.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is all that I do. Everything I say and do is related to it. The more I learn and understand, the more my creativity seems to develop and morph. It’s great.
7. Where did you study?I’m a 19 year old student at Srishti School of Design and I’m just about in the middle of my second year of Visual Communication.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Sitting at home with my iPod and cat with Tame Impala’s Currents playing.
9. What about in ten?Same.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?What I’d love for my art to do is to just give people a bit of amusement during their daily Instagram feed scroll. Also, there’s this revival of psychedelia and the 80’s that’s going around and I’d like for people to see how India’s contributed to it in the past and also now as it is. Making album artworks for bands in India's independent music scene is something that I'm involved with and it's a great way for me to produce an output from the fact that I love art and music both so damn much.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Sushi.
12. Favourite book?Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis.
13. Favourite genre of music?Psychedelic Rock/Pop
14. What are your hobbies?I also play the guitar and produce some music. I’ve released an EP online last year. It’s called Shifty Eyes EP.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A pretty uninteresting guy, I’d imagine.
Curated by @thedoodlemafia, Ballpitmag curator for India