Instagram: @blake_judd_ Website: www.jakeblood.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My real name is Jake Blood, not even kidding. I'm from Melbourne, Australia and am working as an Art Director at an ad agency in Sydney.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.As you can see from some of my work I don't think I have a defining style. My use of colour is probably the only thing consistent. I'm a sucker for vibrant colours.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Illustration. I had a wild imagination as a kid and I did all sorts of things to express it (I broke a lot of shit). So with the help of my parents, I discovered drawing which was a much safer and less destructive way of letting it all out. I found drawing to be pretty damn satisfying and I guess it has just stuck with me since. I don't think any other medium can give you as much freedom as illustration does.
4. What is your artistic process like?Erratic. I think of a topic or idea then flip through all the images in my head of what it could possibly look like. Once I find it I lock it in my vision then smash it all out in one sitting. I allow myself to experiment with colour and whatnot, but for the most part, I stick to the vision I originally had.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I'm a massive comedy fan, I think I take a lot of inspiration from guys like Tim and Eric and Eric André. It's comforting to know that there is a demand for weird shit. I also really admire John Holcroft's work, he's a master.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I feel like it's a way to escape. I think way too much so when I start drawing it kinda puts me into a trance and I become really relaxed, it's weird.
7. Where did you study?I studied a Bachelor of Design at the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I'm currently at an ad agency. I know it's ambitious, but I'll be very disappointed if I'm not a Creative Director by that point.
9. What about in ten?Executive Creative Director.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope other people get as much enjoyment out of it as I do making it.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Everyone is losing their minds over Vietnamese these days, I don't get it most of the time it's just vegetable soup with a fancy name. I'm all about traditional Japanese food.
12. Favourite book?American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis
13. Favourite genre of music?I dabble in everything but if I had to land on one it would be classic punk.
14. What are your hobbies?I can't stop watching movies.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Good question. Probably someone in marketing strategy or consumer psychology.