Instagram: @boatrace_a Grafolio: www.grafolio.com/boatrace_a
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello, my name is Jeong a Jo and I am an artist born and based in South Korea. Since my childhood, I was fond of doodling. The continuous interest for drawing has led me to major in oriental painting starting from secondary school to college years. In graduate school, I was drawn into other fields of art besides oriental painting and made the decision to drop out of school to further study design. Currently, I am working as an illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I like to observe things in daily life. For instance, watching my mother grow plants made me relate to think that everybody might have a garden of their own to take care of within themselves and this thought of having an inner landscape conveyed into the drawings. The various pieces that appear inside the landscape drawings represent images of daily life. Each and every piece has been granted a special meaning to itself. Then, it is rearranged inside the work to act as a form to symbolize a certain person or the current emotional state and memory.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favorite mediums are water based paints such as water color and gouache. I also like using color pencils a lot. Besides these mediums, I use IPad and Photoshop for convenience but still favor traditional painting. Especially for large works I prefer painting with gouache.
4. What is your artistic process like?Usually I paint with gouache and then go over the details with color pencils. With digital works I like to finish up images by creating different textures. For my upcoming works I am thinking of combining the traditional and digital painting techniques together.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I get inspired by almost everything in daily life. Movies, music, food, people, animals, paintings and even Instagram posts whether it’s from direct or indirect experience. I would memorize and apply them in my work.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Drawing itself adds joy to my life. Sometimes I can get tired of it after long sessions of drawing but coming across new things and ideas always puts me back on track.
7. Where did you study?I studied at Dongkuk university in Korea.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I would like to exhibit my works abroad. Be able to collaborate with companies and have gained more reputation in five years.
9. What about in ten?Having an identity in my drawings and paintings that will have people recognize me just by seeing the works.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to become a person who can voice and deliver strong messages in a calm way. Moreover, creating images that are not just pretty but makes you think.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love Korean food. Especially spicy ones and the ones with shrimp in it.
12. Favourite book?Every book written by Masuda Miri.
13. Favourite genre of music?R&B, hip hop, and Indi music.
14. What are your hobbies?Writing, taking pictures, and watching Netflix.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Jobs that have work to do while travelling.