Instagram : @celeste.iii Society6 : www.society6.com/celestew Behance: www.behance.net/celeste-wallaert
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm French and I live in Paris . I work as a textile designer in a Parisian company. I also regularly works on freelance projects. I love illustration and play piano :)
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I would say that my illustrations are quite simple and uncluttered. I love to draw women (mostly because when I draw a man, it looks like he is twelve years old ) I love working with rather bold colors and add patterns in my pictures.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I work mainly on the computer , particularly on illustrator. I use a graphics tablet. I love working with illustrator because it allows me to use crazy colors and make lots of variations. But I also love occasionally draw with my old baby markers :)
4. What is your artistic process like?Most of the time I sit down to draw because I saw a picture or an image or a person on the street that inspires me. Then I enjoy doing lots of color variations (and suddenly I often no longer able to choose my final illustration ;)
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Good, so I 'll repeat myself :) I'm often inspired by a photo or picture that I see passing on Instagram or Pinterest for example, or by a person in the street.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Well, to begin with, even if it is a bit mundane, art allows me to earn my living. And more generally, it allows me to escape, to get a message or emotion. And I love the creative process, it's magic to have an early idea in mind which then materialized on paper. :)
7. Where did you study?I studied graphic design in Brussels.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I'd love to create a small brand of clothing and accessories with super cool and funny patterns for kids :)
9. What about in ten?Haha, that would be cool if my hypothetical brand works great. And then I see myself continuing to draw fun designs and illustrations :)
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to make things a little prettier, dream a little and just have fun.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Aah, I love Asian food, especially maki, and pasta, all kinds of pasta!
12. Favourite book?This is the most difficult question! Haha, seriously, I always have a book in progress, I love reading, especially because I take the subway a lot. So I can not answer, there's too much!
13. Favourite genre of music?I love folk music, especially Bon Iver and Patrick Watson. I like most of all draw while listening to classical music. But I also love to dance to Beyoncé or listen to the Beatles.
14. What are your hobbies?Draw, of course. I also play the piano since I was little. And I also love to see my friends, doing stuff with my boyfriend, have a drink on the terrace, la vie quoi!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would have loved to be a midwife. (Or in my wildest dreams, an actress !)