Instagram: @chingya_weng Website: www.chingyaweng.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello, I’m Chingya! I was born and raised in Taiwan and moved to Baltimore for grad school in 2016. Now I’m based in New York City, pursuing my career as an illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I love using vibrant colors to create my work. There’s one time a friend of mine asked me why I only wear black and white in real life but when it comes to creating artwork, I always choose the brightest and colorful palette. I guess this is why creating art is so intriguing to me, it allows me to create another world that’s completely different from who am I in real life.
3. What is your favorite medium and why?I enjoy using watercolor for creating artworks. I think it’s magical to see the colors mix on the paper as if they have their own mind to decide where to go, and the outcomes are always surprising (in a good kinda way) to me.
4. What is your artistic process like?I have a sketchbook where I keep all my ideas, so I will start by collecting inspirations from my sketchbook and decide what media to use for the piece. After that, I will begin to draw right away and keep making adjustments to the point I start to feel anxious about messing the whole thing up if I keep drawing. That’s when I know the piece is pretty much done.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I am always inspired by my surrounding, buildings, people, daily objects…etc. I think I am always more productive while traveling.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It’s like another language for me to express myself. Sometimes, it’s hard to deliver my thoughts or feeling through words and that’s when my art comes in handy. I feel lucky to be able to have art as a tool to communicate with people. To me, a single image can be more powerful than words.
7. Where did you study?I have a Bachelor in Communication Design back in Taiwan, and a Master in Illustration Practice in the US.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Be a freelance illustrator/graphic designer who gets to take part in lots of fun and inspiring projects.
9. What about in ten?I don’t really make plans for such a long future. I just hope that I will be happy with where I am, and keep doing things I love. Most importantly, never stop learning.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Being able to always enjoy and have fun while doing it.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favorite food?Ice cream, chocolate, dumplings, hot pot, and Taiwanese BBQ.
12. Favourite book?I don’t have a favorite yet, but I love reading Children’s books. It’s always the first section I visited when I went into a book store.
13. Favourite genre of music?Lofi music, it’s the only thing I can listen while working, anything with lyric or human sound would be huge destruction to me lol.
14. What are your hobbies?traveling, cooking, hiking, swimming.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I honestly can’t imagine my life without doing anything that is not related to art.