Instagram: @chungwoon.c Website: cwc.creatorlink.net
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Chungwoon Choi and I’m from Seoul, South Korea. After quitting a dead-end job about a year ago, now I am working as a freelance illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I like to use a limited palette and simple forms to capture the ordinary moments and make them meaningful.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I work with Photoshop most of the time but I have to say my favourite medium is watercolour. I just enjoy slowly making images with real pigments and water away from the computer screen.
4. What is your artistic process like?Usually I start with trying out tiny sketches with a pencil on paper. I would play around with the ideas, composition, etc. for a while, try to get it roughly right at this stage. Once I’m happy with the sketch, I scan it and build an image on it which takes most of the time in the process.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?My inspiration comes from everyday life. Going for a walk, seeing people in a café, talking to friends, eating seasonal foods, taking a bus trip and so on. Also all these incredible artists I follow on Instagram.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It lets me appreciate what’s around me better. Not only visually but in more general sense.
7. Where did you study?I studied Illustration at Kingston University.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Just doing what I’m doing now, maybe in a different city. An agency could be nice, but I’m quite happy going solo for now.
9. What about in ten?My ambition is to be creative and happy... to the death! So ten years will be no problem.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?This I’ve been asking myself since I started to take my art seriously. I think what I’m trying to do is to express things that don’t translate well into words. Things like subtle feelings you would get from certain atmosphere or smell, or that random moment you remember for unknown reasons. These feelings and memories are like clouds in my head. I want to make them solid and put on a table. If that makes any sense.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Chocolate, cookies and biscuits. I like to eat them while I’m working on computer. There’s a pile next to me, right now.
12. Favourite book?Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.
13. Favourite genre of music?I didn’t really think about what genre they were… I looked in my playlist, apparently they are folk and electronic music.
14. What are your hobbies?Tending my vegetable patch while listening to ↑↑↑ music. And drawing is still my hobby, too.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A vet.