Instagram: @eusonglee Website: www.eusong.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello, I’m Eusong Lee. I was born in Korea, Ulsan and then moved to Canada, Toronto. I moved again to Los Angeles for CalArts and still living here!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.In most cases, my taste of aesthetics gear towards to something graphic, bold and elegant. I guess my influences come from graphic designs, early 1900s European illustrations, and 80s Japanese animation. But I cover a bit wide array of styles since I try to direct myself to be a certain aesthetic for each project.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I’m not kind of a full-on painter or illustrator to be picky about mediums. Everything is a tool that has specifics characteristics that they can do best and I try to use them accordingly.
4. What is your artistic process like?I try to relax as much as possible and do loose sketches and ideas in my sketchbooks. And then I pump myself up to max with some hard rap, I execute the hell out of an idea.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?A lot of times there is feeling I wish I could give or receive from a movie, picture or music. Like, i want to motivate people or give a certain impression or ask a question, from a sequence or a picture I make. Sometimes I do drawings of things that means nothing too, just something cool. Anyway, I crave that energy and it inspires me when I see one, too. A lot of expressive musicians in the way they play instruments or dancers are inspiring. Movies, photography or anything that has a good rhythm and statement is inspiring, whether it is a loud or quiet one.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I think a good art lives in me and become part of me. Whether it is a good book, a picture or a movie, if I truly love it, I keep it in my heart and its influence shows in my thoughts and behaviors. So I guess it play a role of a guide or a sign for direction. It gives me a perspective to see the world and have an opinion. And of course, it is only one of many things we all have to gain a perspective.
7. Where did you study?I studied character animation in Calarts.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hopefully, keep making and directing stuff of my own stuff and get paid well. That’d be a good goal.
9. What about in ten?Hopefully, keep making and directing stuff of my own stuff in bigger scales and get paid well! Wow, talk about dreams
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope what I make become something people can live with, something timeless that they liked to keep it in their heart and last. And of course, do good to their heart. Yeah, that’d be very nice.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favorite food?I love Korean food, Japanese food, Scottish food, Indian food...I’m terrible at picking a favorite in general. It’s easier to say what I hate... like, Mcdonalds
12. Favourite book?When I was a little kid, The Happy Prince, Oscar Wilde and The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, were my favorites. But now that I grew up, it’s hard to say if I have any favorites.
13. Favourite genre of music?Generally I love Jazz and lately, I’ve been really into Folk/indie rock.
14. What are your hobbies?I like taking pictures with a film camera. Also going to any live music place, I love just listening to music and doing nothing else, just zoning out. That’s a solid hobby. I just started riding a motorcycle, it has been really fun one.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would probably in engineering.