Instagram: @gianlucanatale_ Website: www.gianlucanatale.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi, my name is Gianluca and I am an illustrator born and based in Italy.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Well, I love everything that’s minimal. My illustrations vary from landscapes to daily life scenes. My philosophy is less is enough, that’s why I try only basic details in my works.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favourite medium will always be paper and pencil because the feeling of drawing on paper isn’t comparable with any other graphics program. Anyway, the use of the design program is essential because we live in a period where the rhythms are very fast.
4. What is your artistic process like?My works always begin on paper. I always have with me a little book and a pen to draw when I'm caught by inspiration at any moment. I search on web images, articles, illustrations or visual arts relate to the subject I like to inspire myself. The most delicate part is the choice of the color palette because I think that coloring is half of the work. A wrong color palette can change completely the beauty of the illustration, and consequently the effect on people. When I have finished the initial part I complete all on Illustration or Affinity Design.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?All. Photos, illustrations, landscapes, architecture and everything that surrounds me.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Certainly an important role. For an illustrator art, it’s like the air you breathe. Well, I hope in a colourful world where it’s not just about football, politics or other topics that make this world darker.
7. Where did you study?I graduated in politics, studying on my own.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I don’t know. I don’t even know where I’ll be on month from today. I hope a step higher than now.
9. What about in ten?With a family and a dog.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Well, my illustrations are not conceptual, that’s why I hope people watch them for a few moments because they are amazing.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Pizza forever, but I’m a good cook and I really like cooking meals for people for other countries, like China or Mexico.
12. Favourite book?I don’t have a favourite book. I like writers like Murakami or Zafon, but a book that i can recommend is “the shadow of the wind” by C.R. Zafon.
13. Favourite genre of music?I like listening to all kind of music. It depends on my daily mood actually. I can listen to classical music to pop or rock in one minute.
14. What are your hobbies?Definitely cook
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I don’t know, maybe the next pope.