Instagram: @goodweatherclub Website: www.goodweatherclub.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hey, I’m Samantha. I’m a graphic designer living in my urban jungle in Melbourne, Australia. I’m surrounded by over 50 indoor plants and I love it! I studied graphic design and work full time for a design agency, but in my spare time I love working on my personal project “Good Weather Club”.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I’d say most of my illustrations are quite colourful and vibrant but I also think my style is constantly changing and I’m still working out exactly what my aesthetic is.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Everything I draw is done with my iPad and Procreate – it’s so versatile and portable.
4. What is your artistic process like?I like to start with a person or a pose and work it into a possible scene. What they’re doing can inspire the scenery around them. I go straight in with colour when I’m drawing, but as the image develops I tweak the colours to suit each other.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I’m heavily inspired by indoor plants and the culture that’s growing around them at the moment. It didn’t take me long when I first moved into my apartment to catch onto the plant craze and fill my home like a jungle. I also like to mix in a bit of lifestyle and architecture, so you might see an illustration of a girl enjoying a coffee or a book, surrounded by plants.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is very relaxing for me. I can spend hours on an illustration and it never feels like work because I enjoy it so much.
7. Where did you study?I studied a bachelor of communication design at Monash University in Melbourne.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?It would be amazing to see my personal business grow. I started online this year, and I’m excited to see where it goes.
9. What about in ten?My plans and goals are constantly changing depending on my mood, but currently, I hope to build my career towards being an art director and maybe work overseas.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to add a bit of colour and joy into people’s homes.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Definitely pasta. Any type of pasta.
12. Favourite book?Hmm, that’s a tricky one, I think my favourite author has always been Jodi Picoult.
13. Favourite genre of music?Hip hop and R&B.
14. What are your hobbies?Illustrating, tending to my plants, socialising and watching YouTube.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I’ve always joked about owning my own café.