Instagram: @goulddesign Website: www.Markjgould.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I am 26-years-old Graphic Designer/Illustrator from Greenwich South East London. I worked as a Facilities Assistant at iris worldwide for 5 years, then in December 2014 I took a beginners course every Sunday in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign at CityLit in Covent Garden. In January 2015 I then started shadowing a few designers at iris one day a week. I then realized I had my sabbatical to take! So I asked our HR team if I could travel to our Atlanta office for the 3 months to learn design and get some solid experience under my belt. I then came back from Atlanta in October 2015 and carried on my internship in our London office until June 2016, where I was then offered a full-time position at iris as a Junior Designer. I make it sound like all that was easy but I worked my arse off and was so grateful to be taken on.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I seem to have a love for anything and everything Isometric so recently I try to include that in my illustrations.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?It's got to be Illustrator and using prospective. Recently I've started dropping my artwork into Adobe Lightbox to get some interesting colour ideas. It's like Instagram effects but better.
4. What is your artistic process like?Well I think I pick up thing's rather quick but still a million miles away to where I want to be! Just got to keep at it ay..
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I always think of ideas in my head either when I go to bed or on the train into work. Also Sebastien Plassard is someone I look at daily (next level illustrator).
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It plays a massive part! I think we are always surrounded by it so it will always keep me interested. I even looks at menus in restaurant's and think how could this look better!
7. Where did you study?I never went to university. So had to work my socks off on the job..
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Well already in an agency so who knows! Maybe another office overseas
9. What about in ten?Probably still in an agency.. I find you learn so much just by surrounding yourself with other designers.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Just want it to put a smile on people's face's and for something to look shit hot!
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love a good old curry! hotter the better :)
12. Favourite book?I'm dyslexic so reading takes me ages! I can't even watch Narcos on Netflix because it's just subtitles haha
13. Favourite genre of music?House, Tech house anything house really! Oh I like a few bands too!
14. What are your hobbies?Design at any spare moment I have to just get better and better!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Oh I've always had art in me even at a young age. But I do love the idea of how cool the SAS are! So I've always found that interesting but the thought of getting shot at put me off haha!