1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Yung Ching Chen. But I also go by Judy. I'm a Taiwanese design student who studies and thrives in Melbourne, Australia. As a typical design student, I'm always busy at uni works, Although I'm a person who gets bored easily I usually ''try'' to get some extra things to do like making a necklace for myself. Mainly, I love the simplicity and fresh colors. Secondly, I also love avocados and daydreaming.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I like to draw daily life scenes as my diary, a reflection of where I went, what I saw and what I have done daily. I like to draw lines on my artworks. Different kind of line emphasizes the emotion on the illustration. Since I like bright colors a lot, you could see bright colors used a lot on my illustration. And I never tired of trying different color palette on my artworks.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favorite medium is the digital painting. I usually draw on Illustrator with Wacom tablet. I also love to draw with pencils and markers on my sketchbooks on trains when I'm on my way to uni, which allows giving more texture on my drawing.
4. What is your artistic process like?I always start with sketches on my sketching pad, which is easier for me to do the doodling. After I getting the idea of what it will be on my canvas, I start to do digital painting on Adobe Illustrator. Before finishing my artworks, I always send the image of my artworks to my mom to get her feedback. Since she's living in Taiwan at the moment, I need to facebook her to ask her opinion. She's a lovely lady, and always gives me some awesome ideas.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Actually, the inspiration is everywhere for me, they are from the christmas tree lights at my bedroom to the way I walk to school daily. If I need to say a person who inspires me, I will say the French graphic designer and illustrator, Jean Jullien. He's works is amazing, so simple but beautiful. I guess 'less is more' is what he's artworks speaking.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art plays an vitally important role in my life. When I was small, like in 6 years old, mom lead me to the world of art. She doesn't draw, but she taught me to appreciate the pleasure art brings to our daily life.
7. Where did you study?I am studying communication design (more like graphic design) at RMIT in Melbourne. A lovely city in Australia, a place fed and watered me while I'm studying.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I hope I could get a design job at a design agency or a design firm. I'm a person who love to participate in a group work, learning from other working pattern to improve my own one, besides, two heads are better than one!
9. What about in ten?In the next ten years, I hope I could have time to travel around the world, and busy at work at the same time. Cause I'm the person who get bored easily, I always get myself a new goal to achieve. And because I always change my mind so I'm not sure what is the next goal for myself in the future. Let's see!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Doing a good job, making people love my artworks.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Oh, I have said my favourite food is avocado at the first question. But I don't mind to highlight that fact. Every morning getting up from bed and have a toasty avocado sounds perfect to me.
12. Favourite book?The book called OLJMB, I got the book while I traveled on the streets and walked into a small gallery at Madrid. It is a well-designed book full of arts, design and photography.
13. Favourite genre of music?LANY, Los Angeles-based band! Their music saves my soul every time when played on my stereo.
14. What are your hobbies?I enjoy working out, photography, watching American TV series like THE WALKING DEAD. (YEAH!)
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would like to be a shopkeeper of a flower shop, and spend my day busy around at my own shop. The shop need to be nearby a coffee shop, cause I like coffee! (and flowers)