Instagram: @isabellabersellini Facebook: www.facebook.com/isabi8isabi Tumblr: isabellabersellini.tumblr.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello :) I'm Isabella a freelance illustrator based in Parma, Italy. I started painting during my "heavy-metal" teenage years, I used to listening to Deftones and painting in my room and at some point, I realized that this was what I wanted to do in life. :)
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I take inspiration from Pop Surrealism with its hidden meanings, irony and elements out of context. I love to create a sense of estrangement across the spectator by using oddities and try to force him to think about the meaning of what he's looking at. Usually, I work with colorful palettes but always wit a bit of black :)
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I like working with my graphic tablet because illustrations become more concrete, directs and clean. Sometimes, I love getting my hands dirty using acrylics by painting a mural □
4. What is your artistic process like?It's not always the same. It can begin from an idea, or something I saw or about something that someone told me. A constant? The music! the right soundtrack can help me a lot! Sometimes when I got stuck, I change the playlist and the illustration becomes a new one!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I take inspiration from many different things, music, movies, stories and what I see around me. I love many contemporary illustrators, like Andrea Wan, Marina Muun, ( too many to mention!). One of my favorites is always Mark Ryden □
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I can't live without it, I know it sounds overdo but it's true :) I feel bad when I can't draw and I get more nervous. It's my exhaust valve. People need to sing or run, I need to draw. It's therapeutic!
7. Where did you study?I studied illustration and comics in Bologna. I miss those days when I was with my mates and we decided to start a self-printed fanzine Lok (Now LokZine )
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I hope I'll keep doing what I love! Freelance or also in an Agency, I'll be happy. I love teamwork!
9. What about in ten?Haha, that's so difficult to see... Always as a freelance, maybe with lots of workshops. I'm sure I'll have many more wrinkles. :(
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?A chance to send a message to people. That's what art is for.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favorite food?Chocolate, focaccia and vegetables!
12. Favourite book?Many... I choose Holderlin's collection of poems.
13. Favourite genre of music?From metal to folk, classic.. it depends... I'm so moody :)
14. What are your hobbies?I love playing with my cats, going to concerts and shows and hanging out with friends.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I don't know... I love animals but I'm scared of blood.. so I'd love to be a zoologist