Instagram: @jason_solo Facebook: www.facebook.com/jasonsoloillustration
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m a freelance commercial illustrator, originally from Ann Arbor, but now living and working in Melbourne Australia.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My work is generally vector-based with hand-drawn elements applied. While I try not to dwell too much on the past, I do like to instil a bit of a retro-futuristic vibe.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I suppose my favourite medium is digital, simply because that’s how I work most often. It's hard to give up the flexibility once its ingrained in your style!
4. What is your artistic process like?I always begin with pencil sketches, then work through a process of bouncing back and forth between vector art, and digital painting/drawing to arrive at a place that seems appropriate for the piece.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I began as an industrial designer so that 3D design base definitely informs how I conceive images. I think it also plays a part in subject matter. I’m really inspired by machines and technology, science fiction and the like. I love work from the 50’s and 60’s that imagines a future we never quite ended up with. I was also really into comics growing up so I’m sure that plays a role.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It's hard to tease out what role art plays specifically as I’m one of those people who sees a bit of ‘art’ in everything. That can be a blessing and a curse, but I think its a viewpoint helps to keep life interesting and keep you looking around and absorbing inspiration from a variety of sources which I find important.
7. Where did you study?I studied at University of Michigan and Center for Creative Studies in Detroit
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hopefully continuing my independent illustration practice and keeping as far away from an agency as possible.
9. What about in ten?I’d love to establish my career to a point where my work consists more of self-initiated projects rather than client work.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?A comfortable living, continued progress/improvement and hopefully a little visual pleasure for others.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?What isn’t my favourite food could be a better question.
12. Favourite book?Hard to pin down just one! I love ‘The Diamond Age’ by Neal Stephenson and anything by Iain M. Banks
13. Favourite genre of music?The kind where real people play instruments.
14. What are your hobbies?Mostly drawing and illustration, lucky for me. I also enjoy woodworking.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Great question. Something less stressful and more straight-forward. Balloon delivery man? Everyone would be thrilled to see you.