Instagram: @jejeviva Facebook: www.facebook.com/thedrawinghand Website: www.thedrawinghand.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I am Jieun Kim aka The Drawing Hand. As you can see with my name 'The Drawing Hand', I really love drawing. It's been 5 years since I called myself 'The Drawing Hand'. I started working as an illustrator in London, but currently I am based in Seoul, South Korea.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Positive vibes. Even though our life cannot be full of happiness in reality, I'm seeking some precious moments through my works and trying to share them through my works with other people.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I like many different media. Each medium has a different feeling. I hope I can use and mix them well on my canvas. For the reason I am still exploring the various media from traditions one to digital one. For now, I really enjoy using gouaches and coloured pencils.
4. What is your artistic process like?I keep a drawing book and try to draw anything on it almost everyday. It's a collection of my observations and feelings. When I want to make some personal work, the stuff from my old drawing books gives me some clue. With the help from my drawing book, I can have more clear idea about what I want to draw and develop. Yes, it's the perfect time to prepare a clean sheet of paper and play with some colours and textures on it.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Everyone who is extremely talented in showing their beautiful visions. Everyday life which seems a bit boring but somehow has lot's of precious moments.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It's massive. Art allows me see the small details and feel the natures. I am trying to go slowly, see carefully and feel deeply. It becomes the primary resource of my works.
7. Where did you study?I studied Graphic design in Seoul and London. I became an artist when I was in London.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Funnily enough, a few days ago one of my friends asked me the same question. I am not fully sure about my next five years. Since I became 'The Drawing Hand', my life changed dramatically. I'm having a new experience everyday with every new job and new people. I didn't expect any of it, I am making my life with drawing. It's a kind of miracle to me. There will be some changes but one thing is never changed - 'I am the drawing hand'.
9. What about in ten?Wow, that's huge! I hope I still enjoy being 'The Drawing Hand'.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I would like to make people have some smile and comfort when they see my works, as I do when I draw.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love trying out many different cuisines. However, if i need to choose only one, it must be 'Tteokbokki'.
12. Favourite book?I don't have a specific book. I like to read any book has some touching lines. That's enough for me.
13. Favourite genre of music?Acoustic music.
14. What are your hobbies?Drawing, travelling and drawing while travelling □
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A professional traveller.