Instagram: @joefivethree Website: www.jaedoolee.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I am a designer/animator working at Buck's New York office. I was born in South Korea, but I moved around a bit when I was a kid. I went to college in Virginia for a couple semesters not knowing what I wanted to do, withdrew from college, went to the Korean military for two years, then decided I wanted to study design. I graduated from the School of Visual Arts in New York City in 2016 and have been working at Buck since.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think my preference is to be as minimal as possible without losing information. It's fun to work with limitations to see how far something can be reduced.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My main medium is digital probably because of the industry I work in. It's also the most convenient, but I would like to try using other mediums not requiring computers.
4. What is your artistic process like?I think my process has changed over the past year. I used to try to picture everything in my head until I was ready to make whatever I was working on. Now, I try to doodle as much as possible. It definitely helps me filter out the things that don't work. I think it's hugely benefited both my work.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?For some reason, I like to browse grocery shops from time to time to look at produce. I really like the different shapes and textures of vegetables. I thought brussel sprouts looked super alien-like when I first saw them on a stem. I also really like looking up fungus images online. There's a lot of weirdly shaped fungus out there. I try to look at a lot of science fiction concept art, but I'd say my biggest inspirations come from Moebius and Miyazaki.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I'd say that art keeps me creative even outside of the art realm. There's always something to experiment with and different things to try.
7. Where did you study?I studied design at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. I graduated in 2016 and have been working at Buck since.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I see myself hopefully still working in this industry, making better work!
9. What about in ten?I haven't thought that far yet, but someday I'd like to work with furniture.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I'd really like to be able to help others. Making cool stuff is fun and exciting, but I think it would be much more rewarding to work not just for self satisfaction.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I don't have a specific favorite food, but I like anything my mom makes me. Her food is the best.
12. Favourite book?I can't choose a specific book, but the works of Shel Silverstein.
13. Favourite genre of music?Anything good. I get a lot of good recommendations from friends.
14. What are your hobbies?Recently my roommate got me into Player Unknown Battlegrounds, but other than that, I like trying to cook. I only know how to cook a few things, but I'd like to try making fresh pasta one day. I also like looking at furniture I will never be able to buy.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?If I weren't an artist, I think I really would have liked to be a writer.