1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
Hi, I am Yutong, from China. My undergraduate major is Administrative management. I love painting and Japanese illustration, so I came to Tokyo for further study in 2019. Now, I am a graduate student in the field of professional illustration design.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
I express my emotions through different kinds of media.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I’d love to paint with mixed media, such as gouache, oil pastel, color lead etc because these painting materials can produce soft textures, conveying the tenderness and beautiful moments that I feel in my life.
4. What is your artistic process like?
My creative materials come from my daily life. I often use the camera to record the scenery that impresses me in my life. Before drawing them on paper, I will draw the draft on my iPad first, and keep modifying the composition and color schemes until I am satisfied.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
For example, the scenery that touches me in my life, the flowers and plants on the roadside. These are often the sources of my inspiration.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
Painting is a channel to show my inner emotions.
My work is mainly about landscapes. In addition to caring about the beautiful scenery in my journey, I also begin to pay attention to the unnoticed ordinary scenery around me.
7. Where did you study?
This year, I started to learn illustration at a university in Tokyo, and before that, I taught myself.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
To be a freelance illustrator and I hope more and more people can see my work.
9. What about in ten?
Try to have more different forms of expression and use some media that I have never used before to create my works.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
I hope that the goodness in my daily life can be felt by others as well through my works.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
12. Favourite book?
There is no specific. Such as painting albums, picture books etc..
13. Favourite genre of music?
14. What are your hobbies?
Watching Japanese dramas, Japanese entertainment shows, and travelling all over Japan.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
I can’t think of anything other than painting.