Instagram:@luciacalfapietra Facebook: www.facebook.com/calfapietralucia Cargocollective: www.cargocollective.com/luciacalfapietra
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi, I am from Italy, I used to live in a small city by the Adriatic sea: Ravenna. After my studies, I left for Paris, in search of a more open environment and more job opportunities. I guess I found that since I have been living here for 5 years now. In the process, I found love too. So maybe this helped. ;)
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I am really passionate about old children's books, especially Russian ones. So I guess there is some vintage base in my aesthetic. I love bold colors and simple shapes, and I don’t usually use outlines.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I ideally mix handmade textures and papers with photoshop, but often using just the computer is easier and I tend to do that lately, as I am working on more short deadlines projects. I use a pen tablet, which I really like.
4. What is your artistic process like?I do really simple roughs on my sketchbook, you can’t really tell what it was afterward ;) I also write down keywords to catch the idea I want to visualize. I search photo references, I think about colors, I try to create a universe. Then I go to the computer and begin the proper image trying not to stress too much and if I am lucky everything goes smoothly. But the final image quite often looks different from what I expected ;D
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?As I said, I look a lot at old children's books, but also offices, advertising and book covers. I love to go to flea markets and find really cheap old books. With my boyfriend, who is a graphic designer and calligrapher, we do that a lot, and we also exchange our online discoveries. (His name is Nicolò Giacomin, check him out!)
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I guess a really big place, I am always searching for beauty around me. So it’s like a pair of glasses I carry around. It’s not always easy to see it, tho. Sometimes we are blinded by all the things that need to be done, and all the pressure. But I try really hard to find a place of calm inside me.
7. Where did you study?I did my graphic design degree in Urbino, at ISIA, and I got an illustration degree at Accademia delle Belle Arti in Bologna, with an Erasmus program year in Brussel, at ST. Luc.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I am not sure. I hope to grow my client base and stay freelance. I also hope to collaborate more with my boyfriend on book covers and such. (which we already do)
9. What about in ten?Same thing. Maybe founding a studio? With a chihuahua mascotte! :)
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I guess to put some beauty in the world, and some fresh ideas.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I really love to eat and cook. I basically would eat everything fried, but I am trying to enjoy veg more and experiment with vegetarian recipes.
12. Favourite book?That would be a lot of books! I love everything from Astrid Lindgren, my favorite being SEACROW ISLAND. I also love The Lord of the Flies and Arturo’s Island.
13. Favourite genre of music?Everything, really. I change all the time following my mood and what I am doing while listening. I can go from techno and rap music to folk and ballads.
14. What are your hobbies?I love to go in nature every time I can, even just the park, and going to the library.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I guess a librarian or a teacher. But there is still time! :)