1. What's your story? Where are you from?My names Nicole, I’m 19 years old and was born and continue to live in Adelaide, Australia. I’m in my second year of studying a Bachelor of Design at UniSA but I have been doing my own work and designs on the side for a while now as I really enjoy it and it has been getting me small jobs on the side to add to my portfolio.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I love using pastel and contrasting colours, I like both complicated and minimalistic illustrations and vector imagery but then again I don’t mind pushing the boundaries and trying new things with my designs, I don’t really categorise my style or the images I choose I just design and draw what I find interesting or what I’m thinking.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I enjoy drawing with just a pencil and paper then converting that to vector imagery on illustrator, I find the lines are more rough and textured but the colours placed in from illustrator is always neater and vibrant.
4. What is your artistic process like?If I see something or think of something interesting enough I usually will draw it on paper or create it on illustrator, most of the images are purely what I think of in my head, what I see in real life or the emotions I’ve felt and try to convert that to imagery but the process does take a bit for me to do and finally enjoy.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Everyday Designers and Illustrators on Instagram and Behance have really inspired me and have helped me to figure out what designs I like the best but I’ve always liked this style the most from what I’ve seen when I was younger to now and experiences and emotions of everyday living have helped me to express myself in an artistic way.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Without sounding ridiculous but art is a big part of who I am, everyone that I know from when I was younger said they never really saw me without a pencil in my hand or drawing, I was a lil perfectionist when it came to my own designs and drawings and I still am so the styles I do have kind of grown with me, I don’t really see myself not doing art or design I love it, I see art in everything and I don’t think the world would be an interesting place without it, it makes everything more lively and interesting.
7. Where did you study?I still study at the University of South Australia.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I would like to say working at a magazine company or a design agency that would be my top two choices but I really don’t mind where I go just as long I keep designing and enjoy my job.
9. What about in ten?Same as above □
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want people to really enjoy my work and hopefully remember the design and for myself to grow as a designer and become happier with what I do.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Probably sushi, mangoes or watermelon I have no idea.
12. Favourite book?Probably Stephen King’s book Salem’s Lot
13. Favourite genre of music?Mostly into indie/alternative rock and some psychedelic rock as well.
14. What are your hobbies?I’ve never really been asked this haha so sorry if I have terrible answers but graphic design, drawing, going out or hanging out with friends and listening to music, probably have more but eh
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I don’t really want to do anything else but if I had to say I’d probably go into marketing or criminology it might sound as interesting as it is but whatever.