Instagram: @nuriatamarit Tumblr: ntamarit.tumblr.com Behance: www.behance.com/nuriatamarit Tictail: gotadecalo.tictail.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in Vila-real, east Spain. So my life is really connected to warm, sun and the sea. I spent all my carefree childhood drawing and watching anime. Later I studied Fine Arts and now I’m a full time illustrator and comic artist. Not bad, isn’t it?
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Hard to tell. I never think about how my stuff looks like although I like to think is a mix of not real bad drawn stuff + simple colours.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favourite medium is pencil, by now. I just like the feeling when the graphite caresses the paper, so pleasant. Also I tend to get bored easily and pencil is a quick tool for me and I don’t have to worry to much about being quite unclean. I’m not sure I explained this well at all. I’m doing some coloured pencil drawings now. Keep on experimenting.
4. What is your artistic process like?I always start doing a little tiny doodle on my sketchbook to get the concept of the illustration and control de composition, after that I just draw it bigger with my pencil. I add some colour later with Photoshop and that’s it!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I think my work is quite inspired by the stuff I read. Also by lots of illustrators I follow and love. However, well, I just draw whatever I want and feel, without thinking where I’m getting the inspiration from.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I know this always sounds so corny and sentimental but art is actually my life. I can’t do anything else! (really I’m so clumpsy and unskilled when I try something else) I tend to think illustration and comic makes me analyse and study the world that surrounds me in a different way than most people.
7. Where did you study?I studied Fine Arts in Valencia (east burning Spain also)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I see myself in the same life I have now. I’m just perfect drawing all day, drinking some beer with friends and having my favourite bookshop so close to my home. In five years I’d like to have a dog (that’s my true dream actually) and a couple of hundreds of books more.
9. What about in ten?My brain does not know how to think further than five. Maybe I’d like to be also teaching illustration students?
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I’m afraid I never think about that. I just draw and draw because it’s impossible for me not to do it. Inevitable. I try to express how I think and feel and I don’t have any other purpose than beating myself every day. Nice, I just talked rubbish.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love anything with cheese or salmon, I really don’t care what.
12. Favourite book?Uhm, difficult choise. I love every book by Terry Pratchett, my favourite was Mort. Yeah, I used to read him a lot some years ago. Now I’d say my favourite book is Jack London’s The Call of Wild, also I love Stanislaw Lem.
13. Favourite genre of music?Ohm, sad-instrumental. Is that a genre?
14. What are your hobbies?I love drawing in my spare time (as you see I’m quite an obsessive person) I also love reading and watching unpopular and weird films. Nature always ashtonished me and I love to walk on the mountains. Unfortunately I live in a grey city and can’t go as much as I’d like to. I’m sure my top hobbie will be my dog whenever I have one.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I can’t imagine myself being anything else but what I actually am. Perhaps I would have studied Art History and then teach. Well no, definitely not.