Instagram: @owemartirez Website: www.owemartirez.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Owe Ragnar Martirez. I'm half Filipino half Swedish, I grew up in Stockholm, Sweden where I also work as a freelance 3D artist. My interest for design started when I was really young. I used to memorize all the street art and advertizing posters I saw then try to copy them at home. Since I hadn't learned how to read yet I had no idea what they meant, haha.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think my background of mixed culture and growing up with a crazy parent is reflected in my artwork, it is a mix of random craziness, pastel colors, 80’s vibes and strange perspectives. But it’s always evolving as I learn and discover new things that inspire me. I also try to create gender neutral stuff.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Motion graphics. I feel like the possibilities are endless. Although I do prefer to work on a single frame and keyshots rather than animating. With animation I feel a bit limited because of all the technical difficulties such as render times etc. I'm not a technical person, I'm just really stubborn.
4. What is your artistic process like?It really depends on the project. If I'm working with a client I start by asking as many questions as possible to get a better understanding of their expectations and what they want to communicate. After that I work on the idea, for me, it means isolating myself. It can usually take a while, I found that the more time I spend on pre-production the smoother the overall process will be. Before I start with the actual production I try to get everything approved first to avoid any misunderstandings. If I'm creating something for myself I just do whatever is in my head at that moment.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I like to look at art, specifically modern art. I’ve always enjoyed artists like Salvador Dali. Besides that, I think it's random things and people around me. For example, I recently spent some time in the woods in northern Sweden, now I'm super inspired to try typically Swedish materials in my work.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I don't take art too seriously, it's fun and nice to look at but that's it. Maybe it has made me more aware of subtleties in my surroundings.
7. Where did you study?To be honest the internet but I met some nice people at Hyper Island.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I'm aiming to work with lesser projects a year but with better quality and bigger budgets. I would love to establish more clients and collaborations outside of Sweden.
9. What about in ten?Ideally, I have been able to grow a passive income. That way I could focus on creating for the love of it and only work with projects I find meaningful.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Escape the daily grind.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Traditional Filipino food when it's made right.
12. Favourite book?The alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
13. Favourite genre of music?Old rap and classical music.
14. What are your hobbies?Not too many people know this but I take a lot of photos. I just don't share them so no one ever sees them, except for sometimes when my girlfriend borrows one for her instagram, haha. Travelling and having an active lifestyle are also my hobbies.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A farmer.