Instagram: @polarbluebirdillustration Website: www.polarbluebird.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello this is Eunjoo Lee. I am Korean illustrator based in U.K. Specifically doing illustration and textile design. My artwork's subject is diverse, but especially I am interested in modern society's utopia and dystopia.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I try to develop my aesthetic. So it changes depending on the story and subjects. Nowadays, I am into DADA and Bauhaus's visual languages; they give me lots of inspiration.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Nowadays I usually use using digital material, but I am interested in print making material. Especially etching. Digital material is very efficient material for illustrator, easy to fix, and easy to develop, but sometimes I am using analogue way to make texture. Etching's special texture and mood is really unique.
4. What is your artistic process like?I do lots of research for one big personal project. After the collecting diverse research, I do lots of rough sketches, and those sketches are really rough and quick. And finish with my laptop.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Lots of artist and writers. Susan sontag, Kveta Pacovska, Hockney, Dzama, Cocteau, Picasso, Vårklockor Josef Frank, Milan Kundera, Henri Rousseau, Miro, and really a lot.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art allows me to think about philosophy and aesthetic issues. And based on that thought, the critical point of view about society makes better art, and I believe it can change the way I view the world.
7. Where did you study?Currently I am studying at Glasgow School of Art, Scotland. Majoring MA Communication design.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?The place isn't important, but I hope I can be someplace where can get lots of inspiration. And more focused on textile design and book illustration.
9. What about in ten?Within ten years, I hope I can have an art workshop connected with my work.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope my work can give some definition of modern society, and with that I hope people can get peace or love. Haha, I think this is really "big picture" stuff..
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Salmon, beer, Haribo tangfastics.
12. Favourite book?Joke by Milan Kundera.
13. Favourite genre of music?I hear a diverse genre of music! I especially like Vampire weekend, Foster the people, and Ben folds.
14. What are your hobbies?Actually I had deep thought about my hobby, because I think I really do not have hobby. I guess that's because my job is my hobby.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think.. Maybe a policewoman, or surgeon just because im interested in it.