Instagram: @rachealchu Twitter: @racheal_chu Facebook: www.facebook.com/rachelchudesigns Website: www.rachelchudesigns.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm a graphic designer, illustrator and letterer currently working in Sydney, Australia. I'm pretty much the black sheep in my family as I was the only one that pursued a career in design and illustration. I started my career as a textiles surface pattern designer which explains why my work is so intricate all the time because of my old habits of creating pattern repeats. I got into advertising and now branding design which I'm totally in love with because it's a challenge to creatively represent a product, service or campaign for a business/start up.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I'm greatly inspired by nature, so my work has a lot natural elements followed by an abstract representation of botanicals. The aesthetics are very intricate and I'm quite obsessed with finer details. It's a habit that I established when I design repeats for a living.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I tend to work in Adobe illustrator a lot partly because I tend to do very intricate line work.
4. What is your artistic process like?I don't really have any artistic process. Though I always keep a journal close just in case a great idea comes to mind. I generally draft out an idea or concept first, then rough sketches.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I'm heavily influenced by illustrators and letterers like Jessica Hische, Louise Fili, Timothy Goodman, Georgia Hill, but what really got me started was when I went to one of Gemma O'Brien's lettering workshop and absolutely loved it. It's like a new found love for lettering and illustration and it's addictive.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I think art is unique itself as the ideas behind art are generally not appropriate from anywhere else - they are original. Art is not about the trends, art influences them. So for me, art is a better inspiration than the latest trend.
7. Where did you study?I studied a Bachelor degree in Design in College of Fine Arts - University of New South Wales (UNSW).
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I see myself working for myself in five years time. Signed up to a few illustration agencies. At the moment I am working a Creative agency for start-ups and loving it a lot but my real passion is illustration.
9. What about in ten?In 10 years time, I really want to get to the point where I can speak at design conferences and be an inspire people and talk about my work.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to inspire people with my art. Make the work a little bit more prettier.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I never had a favourite food.
12. Favourite book?A smile in the mind. By Beryl McAlhone
13. Favourite genre of music?Alternative, Old 1920s jazz.
14. What are your hobbies?I like to DIY and make crafty decorations. I'm also a scuba diver, it's a different world down there.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Tough question. A scuba diver instructor.