Instagram: @sabinaalcaraz Twitter: @sabinaalcaraz Website: www.sabinaalcaraz.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi! I am Sabina Alcaraz, a freelance packaging & pattern designer. I am currently living in my small town, Xixona, near Valencia and I live in a country house. When I finished my studies, I decided that I wanted to work like a freelance designer, I love to work directly with my clients. Now, I am working in a co-working studio with an architect and a photographer.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Currently, I work with simple shapes and a restricted color palette. Nature is my inspiration, I am always looking everything around me. I love plants, I love their colors and forms.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I love to draw on a paper and then finish it by computer. I am using promarkers, from winsor&newton. I spend a lot of time studying what colors I want to use, but I've never done it before. If you asked me a year before, I was always painting with watercolor. Actually, what I love is to explore ways to create, it doesn't matter if I use watercolor, papers or illustrator. Currently, I also use watercolors for my projects, especially for cosmetic brands projects.
4. What is your artistic process like?My artistic process starts in a sketchbook. I have always a notebook and colors in my bag. When I have a moment, I like to paint forms and to combine colors. Then, I scan this paints and finish them by computer. I like illustrator, from Adobe. I just discovered an App for my iPad that allows me to draw anywhere and make sketches quickly. I adapt to each design project. Actually, I do not have a defined process for all my work.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Everything I do inspires my work. Now we are fortunate with social networks, we can see a lot of works only writing a word. I really like photography, painting and fashion. Pinterest and Instagram are an endless source of images.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art has always been a part of my life. I can't conceive life without it. But, in my opinion, we have to separate art from design. For me, design has more to do with my work. It's a response to a project. Many days I open my notebook without a predefined order, this, in any case, would be art.
7. Where did you study?I studied in Valencia for five years and in Venice for a year. I really enjoyed it, Venice inspired me a lot. I think is the most beautiful place in the world!
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I see myself working in my own studio like I am doing now. I enjoy helping my clients with design solutions.
9. What about in ten?The same but with more work and working with more people in my studio.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I enjoy helping my clients with their projects. Design is a powerful tool and I think that I help people when they use what I do for them.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Oh! I love this question, I love to cook and I love to eat. I think that paella is my favourite food.
12. Favourite book?It's dificult to choose a book! Il diario segreto di Pollicino, illustrated by Rebecca Dautremer. This book discovered me a lot of years ago what illustration means.
13. Favourite genre of music?I haven't got a favourite genre of music but I recommend Manel, a catalan group.
14. What are your hobbies?Two years ago I discovered pottery. I really enjoy this.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Ceramist.