Instagram: @shawlus Website: www.shawdavidson.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello! I’m Shaw, an illustrator who grew up in the countryside near the city of Bath, England. I’m currently living by the sea in Cornwall.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think I would describe my aesthetic as colourful with lots of tiny details. I love creating little worlds with which my characters can live in. I use pattern and texture a lot in my work, I find that really visually appealing and also fun to create! I enjoy using a mixture of bright and muted colours in order to balance my images.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I normally create my work by layering gouache, colour pencil and wax pastels on watercolour paper. If I had to pick one favourite it would be gouache, it’s a wonderfully versatile medium. I love the process of painting and mixing colours because it allows me to think about colour in a different way.
4. What is your artistic process like?I use sketchbooks a lot and I try not to be too precious with my initial drawings. I find it much easier to get lots of ideas down on the page, which can be quite messy, but is really useful when trying to create a final composition. I work mostly traditionally on one piece of paper, however I always edit and clean up my work using Photoshop in its final stages.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?People, literature, art, nature… I also love history and I’m always drawing characters from different time periods. I recently did a narrative project based on Beatrix Potters life which was definitely inspired by my combined love of history, nature and art!
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I’ve always loved to draw and paint for as long as I can remember, its how I express myself. Since attending an arts focused university I met so many brilliantly creative people, which has really given me an appreciation for art and design in all forms.
7. Where did you study?I studied Illustration at Falmouth University.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hopefully illustrating everyday in a beautiful studio, I would love to publish my own picture book by then so I think that’s my main goal for now.
9. What about in ten?I try not to plan this far ahead, but hopefully still creating illustrations and maybe more picture books!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope that my work can entertain and bring a sense of happiness to both adults and children, that would be great.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Bananas, falafel burgers, and chocolate.
12. Favourite book?I love classic children’s literature and also so many picture books, The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr is probably my favourite.
13. Favourite genre of music?I’m quite random with my music taste, but I mostly listen to Jazz, Country and Musical soundtracks!
14. What are your hobbies?Running, baking, yoga, travelling… and I really want to start taking pottery classes.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?This is tough but maybe own a bookstore, or a tea room…