Instagram: @skylarhkim Website: www.skylarhkim.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born and raised in South Korea and moved to the U.S. when I was 18. At that time, I attended a university and had not chosen a major yet. However, I had graduated from Arts high school and I have always loved drawing and painting since childhood. As a result, I decided to study art more professionally. My dream city was New York. Ironically, I had never visited there before, but I already fell in love with the artistic city from the TV and magazines. Then, I went to New York with nothing concrete. I chose one of the art schools, prepared portfolio, TOEFL score, and transfer application. When the School of Visual Arts gave me an acceptance, I was ready to finally become a New Yorker!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Topics for my artworks include peace, nature, beauty, and the good. I love everything that is beautiful. I love butterflies, flowers, and fragrance bottles. I love vivid patterns from the cute dresses. I think I am very much into the ladyish style.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I have been in love with gouache paints for a very long time. I like bright pastel tones, and gouache satisfies in portraying their vividness.
4. What is your artistic process like?If an idea comes into my mind, I write down rough sketches and notes to prevent forgetting them. Then, at my workspace, I research references as many as I can before finally start working.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?With regards to cultural influences, I really love the French artistic movement Rococo and Japanese woodblock work. I get inspirations from many aesthetics. My favorite artist is George Barbier. I think he is the perfect artist who combined Rococo and Japanese art. So when I see his works, I gain energy and insights for my next projects.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art makes me feel worthy. I am a sensitive person who can easily be swayed by emotions, especially negative ones. However, when I start or finish my artwork, I finally feel the reason why God created me and why I am needed in the world. I want to give positive energy to people through my artwork.
7. Where did you study?I finished up to high school in South Korea. Then, I graduated from the School of Visual Arts in New York with the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in illustration.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I will continue my illustration career through freelancing. And I hope to have more opportunities to promote myself to the world :)!
9. What about in ten?I will be very busy as both an illustrator and a mother. I will teach my children to love beautiful things and peace in the world.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?My primary goal I hope to achieve is to be an artist who is really needed in the world. I don't want to be just a commercial illustrator. I hope my work can deliver happiness to people.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I like traditional Korean food. when I was young, I didn't believe that I liked Korean food. However, since I moved to the U.S., I finally realized that I adore Korean food a lot.
12. Favourite book?My favorite book is the bible. When I need wisdom, I go to the bible and gain it.
13. Favourite genre of music?I enjoy listening to OST’s from the movies that I watched and liked, mostly those of the Disney’s. The OST’s remind me of the movie’s vibe and it resonates as I listen to the music.
14. What are your hobbies?I love shopping. Even just an eye-shopping is satisfying as well. I am very happy to see a lot of pretty dresses and cosmetic products in the stores.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think I might be a perfumer. I love to collect perfume, and I have a good olfactory sense. I can distinguish very fine smells. Just as I like to pay attention to minute details as an artist, I like to explore different aromas.