1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm Sophie Beer, an illustrator from Brisbane, Australia. I think art should never be boring. I trained to be a lawyer, thought it was super boring and am now a full-time illustrator, the least boring job!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Bright! Fun! Colourful!
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I'm 100% digital as I make way too many mistakes for traditional processes.
4. What is your artistic process like?I usually start out with sketches, scan those into my computer then draw over the top in photoshop. That way I can change the colours as many times as I like!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Mary Blair, flowers, children's books, patterns, my dog, plants, bright colours.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is my way of expressing how exciting life is and can be!
7. Where did you study?At Queensland University of Technology. I studied law and graphic design.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?In five years, I'd love to be fully established as a full-time freelance artist.
9. What about in ten?In ten years, I'd like to have written and illustrated my own children's books.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?To make people feel happy.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Frozen Greek yoghurt!
12. Favourite book?Pride and Prejudice
13. Favourite genre of music?Folk, a la Shirley Collins, Joanna Newsom and Connie Converse
14. What are your hobbies?Books and movies! I love escaping into other worlds.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A children's book writer