1. What's your story? Where are you from?I live in Seoul, the capital of Korea. Webtoon is the mainstream in Korea, but I'm interested in graphic novels. I am a student who is about to graduate and after my graduation I plan to continue my own work, graphic novel and illustration.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I am interested in the colours of lights that change with time and season. Different seasons have different colours of the sky and trees. The colours of reflected shadows change too, over time. I enjoy capturing every changes and putting them on paper.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I like watercolor. When watercolors are mixed with the right amount of paint in the right amount of water, they are beautifully stained on the paper. I just need to get the paper wet and loosen the paint. But they are difficult. The right amount of water and the right amount of paint depending on the paper material, the humidity of the day, or the conditions of the space, and there are countless textures to be drawn. It is so challenging that I have the will to conquer it. So sometimes, I wonder whether I like watercolor or if I just want to conquer the difficulties, but it's fun anyway!
4. What is your artistic process like?I always write down my daily thoughts. I will open my notepad first if I want to draw something. Once the ideas are finalized, I simply sketch out the composition and go for a walk outside to observe objects or landscapes that are close to my thoughts. And then I will mix the collected data into my work.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I get a lot of inspiration from fiction. I think good writing has a lot of room for interpretation, and it is rich in invisible images, and they stimulate my imagination.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?To me, art is communication. The more I draw, the more people I will meet and it widens my mind too.
7. Where did you study?I studying animation at Korea National University of Arts.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I will be working harder than currently, in my very comfortable studio. I will be inspired by the spaces that I have decorated.
9. What about in ten?I wish to work abroad. For example, I want to be inspired every day in the great nature of Iceland.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I wish forever, I can hold onto things that are gone or soon-gone.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Kimchi fried rice, or any food-related to kimchi.
12. Favourite book?Phantom lights - miyamoto teru
13. Favourite genre of music?I like dream pop and lately I’m listening to Mazzy Star.
14. What are your hobbies?Recently, I fell in love with Netflix. The Stranger Things is really interesting.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I'm very interested in sound and I think being a sound engineer is a very cool job.