1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Susanna Gentili, but everyone calls me just Zuzy, my nickname since I was 4 years old. I grew up in a little town near Rome (Italy), a romantic city that always inspires me. Right now, I'm working as a freelance illustrator. Lover of the stars and the universe, l also really love drawing, I realize all sorts of nice things and cook pancakes.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic embraces a very innocent world, that revolves around tender images, fine lines and soft colors. Stars are often key elements for my illustrations. They allow me to dream while I create and this is very nice for me.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I always felt very comfortable with my computer, I love to draw with my graphics tablet, but sometimes I leave the digital world and devote myself to watercolors and color pencils.
4. What is your artistic process like?Well, I usually work in my own little studio at my home. So, it all begins with a very clear idea in my head and many sketches in my notebook. Then, I turn on my computer and, at a later stage, the design becomes a vector illustration with my favourite editing software, Illustrator. I always use it!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I often find inspiration looking at all the things around me. If you look with different eyes and let go of your imagination even the most trivial things can get interesting. When I need a higher dose of inspiration, I go to bookstores and spend most of the time browsing books for children.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art has always played an important role in my life. In the best moments or more bad for me, it's always something that motivates me to do more, create more. When reality disappoints me, it is the only way that makes me feel alive and makes me lose in a world of my own, where you can dream all you want. I couldn't live without art, is everything for me, it is my therapy.
7. Where did you study?I studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome and I graduated in editorial graphics.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I hope I can do the same. I 've already worked in a graphics agency but it's not a thing that I really love because I like to carry on my personal projects.
9. What about in ten?Also, in this case, the same, but obviously with greater professional growth.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope people can see more than what simple things look like, they can travel with me and with my fantasy while having fun.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love to eat everything, but my absolute favourite food is french fries.
12. Favourite book?Undoubtedly "Alice in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll.
13. Favourite genre of music?I don't have a favorite kind of music of precise, I like music in general, but when I'm sad I often listen to lyric music.
14. What are your hobbies?Look at the stars, laugh with my friends, watch old movies in black and white, and going around the world as soon as I can.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I have a weakness for chocolate and Paris, so I would like to be a pastry chef and have a little bakery near the Eiffel Tower (a big dream!).