Instagram: @thmswrch Behance: www.behance.net/thmswrch
1. What‘s your story? Where are you from?Hi, I´m Thomas. I've been living in Berlin, Germany since 2010. I´m working as a full time freelance illustrator here.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Generally I want my output to be rather humorous with a sense of positive energy. I've always been listening to Punk and Hip Hop and I guess that these culture forms influenced me tremendously style-wise…
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I like ink and paper the most. Manual work in general… Collages, brushes… I also work with the computer from time to time, but I try not to use it too much.
4. What is your artistic process like?I draw a lot of studies: insects, animals, portraits, objects… There are days I do not do anything else… The second big part of my work are my freestyle illustrations… In both cases I usually start with rough pencil sketches. As soon as I find the right lines I refine my outlines and then I use some ink. Finally I think about colours.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I draw my inspiration from a lot of different sources. I´m very interested in cover artwork, music videos, sci-fi movies, literature, fashion… I do not play computer games, but I´m also very interested in what is going on there…
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It gives me orientation and a certain amount of stability in a world totally gone mad. There are so many bad things going on… Art is a good way to deal with that.
7. Where did you study?I studied communication design in Trier, a small town close to France and Luxembourg.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Actually I would like to keep things as they are: working as a freelance illustrator. I´d like to focus more on video games... I guess that´s a market with great opportunities.
9. What about in ten?Well… who knows. Hard to tell... There are various possibilities. But in order to get there some things should work out right now… I stopped talking about projects or goals until they are home and hosed. I noticed that it causes an unnecessary increase of pressure on me.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I work as efficiently as I can and I try not to daydream too often. I´d like to afford a life with what I do. I want to work as an illustrator and I do not want to be forced to do anything else. I tried a lot of different things in my life and at this point right now I know for sure this is exactly what I want to do.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Italian food of course… Actually I eat everything (it should be vegetarian or vegan… sometimes seafood (maybe twice a year)).
12. Favourite book?I can´t think of a particular favourite book. I also can´t think of a favourite band or a favourite film… I've read Naked Lunch quite often….
13. Favourite genre of music?I´m very open minded about art in general… I listen to all kinds of music… I´m listening a lot to Hip Hop and to a lot of electronic stuff at the moment...
14. What are your hobbies?reading, cycling, collecting vinyls, sports…. I´m also very interested in Bavarian beer...
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would be the fifth Turtle or a Jedi Knight. A combination of both would be awesome.