Instagram: @tinanass.illustration Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/tinanass Website: www.tinanass.de
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi! I'm from a pretty small and idyllic district in Hamburg, Germany where I've lived all my life. I've always been super passionate about art, and drawing and creating weird stuff was basically all I did when I was a kid - my parent's house was plastered all over with my drawings. When I was little I used to admire my aunt, who is also an artist. Whenever she visited me we always drew together and I think she's part of the reason I kept on drawing and improving because she inspired me a lot. Now I'm 25 and I've just graduated from uni, where I studied communication design.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I try to find a balance between 'kinda cute' and 'kinda weird', I don't want my art to be too perfect or too 'pretty'.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I've tried a lot of different thing but I always end up back with my pencils. I like how much control you have over them and that I don't have to wait for them to dry, because I'm a veeery impatient artist. I do the colouring digitally in Photoshop because I love the freedom it gives me.
4. What is your artistic process like?Mostly very spontaneous and impulsive. I don't tend to spend too much time thinking or planning, I prefer to just get started and figure it out as I go along. Most ideas come to me at random, but when inspiration runs low I like to look at my Pinterest board where I pin everything that I stumble upon and find remotely interesting.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Oh, that's hard. Nothing in particular but everything at the same time? Nature, photography, music, classical paintings, you name it. I think you just have to walk through the world with open eyes and suddenly everything could potentially be inspiring.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art plays a huge role in my life, I couldn't imagine not doing art, it just comes naturally to me. I think I try to always see something beautiful or visually interesting in my surroundings, however small it might be.
7. Where did you study?I studied communication design at HAW Hamburg, where I also took illustration courses.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I just graduated from uni so I feel a little lost and I'm not entirely sure where I want to go yet. But I would love to be able to work as a freelance illustrator, at least part-time.
9. What about in ten?I don't plan that far ahead, but I can for sure say that I what to have adopted at least three cats by then.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?To inspire others and make them smile. Sorry this sounds so cheesy!
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love brussels sprouts and potatoes. And everything sugary, unfortunately.
12. Favourite book?Everything Stephen King. Also the Harry Potter series, because they were a huge part of my childhood.
13. Favourite genre of music?I listen to almost everything, from viking metal to ambient pop. I will always love The National and I'm currently in a deep Lana Del Rey phase.
14. What are your hobbies?I feel like drawing is all I do right now, but I really want to get back into photography. My boyfriend and I used to drive somewhere and just walk and take photos for hours. I'd also love to finally work up the courage to take photos of other people! Apart from that, I love eating, petting cats and doing nothing.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I studied graphic design and I'll probably end up getting a job in that field - so a graphic designer? Other than I always dreamed of owning a little shop that sells a bunch of weird vintage clothing and jewellery.