Instagram: @valerieboivin_illustration Facebook: www.facebook.com/lescartesdevalerie Giphy: www.giphy.com/valerieboivin Carbonmade: www.valerieboivin.carbonmade.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Valérie, I am an illustrator living in the beautiful city of Québec, Canada. I live with my bunny named Marcel in a little studio, where I draw.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think there is a certain melancholy that emanates from my work. I like to use greyish colors and my drawings highlight the fragility of the characters.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I color my artwork digitally. I love the possibilities it brings and I really like the small 'Z control' that remains possible at all times in the process. I use Kyle's brushes, they've breathed a new life into my work. As I live in a very small apartment, working digitally saves me a lot of space.
4. What is your artistic process like?I like to inspire myself by looking around me, taking pictures and browsing on social networks. I then draw elements that I like in pencil, all separately, scan them and it is thereafter that I assemble them spontaneously. It's a bit like a new kind of collage. I like to be surprised by the different possible stagings, it brings a little surreal side to my work that I like a lot.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?There are many illustrators whose work I admire: Monica Barengo, Isabelle Arsenault, Joanna Concejo, Pascale Bonenfant, just to name a few!
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art plays the most important part in my life. I wouldn't be the same person without it. I like to create everyday, in million of different ways. It makes me feel alive. It is by far my best companion.
7. Where did you study?I studied graphic design at Laval University in Québec, but was too shy at the time to take illustration classes, so when I finished the program I bought a numeric tablet and started exploring digital art by myself. It was magic, I truly loved it.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I would love to make more books and both illustrate and write them. I would sooo much love to try illustrating with real colored pencils and watercolor but I'm so used to working in digital, loosing the'control Z' possibility makes me nervous.
9. What about in ten?OMG, I'll be so old in ten years! I'd love to be making a living exclusively from my art.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to touch people, to amaze them. Make them feel the joy I had when drawing.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I am crazy about salmon tartare!!
12. Favourite book?'Si je ne suis pas revenu dans 30 ans prévenez mon ambassade'' from David McNeil
13. Favourite genre of music?French music and classical music too!
14. What are your hobbies?I just love gardening and growing flowers in my backyard... and on my rooftop!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think I would be a French or a Literature teacher!