1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in British Columbia, and I immigrated to a very rural farming community in Northeastern Nevada when I was ten years old. I currently live in Seattle, Washington, with my husband and very large cat.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I feel that my aesthetic captures femininity with a visible dark streak.
3. What's your favorite medium, and why?Even though I use photoshop a lot for my work I love making my digital collages into something tangible. So I would have to say paper and mounting tape are my favorite mediums.
4. What is your artistic process like?It is very spontaneous! My inspiration comes in bursts, like a lightning strike. When I do get an idea I write it down immediately, and maybe do a quick sketch. If I'm lucky, I may already have a lot of the images needed for my collage in my digital archive, but most likely I'll hunt them down in the horrible depths of the internet. Sometimes I can't find the image that I'm looking for, and the collage will have to wait its turn until I find the right piece.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?The digital collages and illustrations by John Craig have inspired me for a very long time. I also draw inspiration from Victorian portrait photography, and Christmas and Valentine's Day cards.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is definitely a form of catharsis for me. I went through a period of time where I didn't create anything for almost three years, and I was absolutely miserable. Now that I am creating again the world seems a little brighter.
7. Where did you study?I'm self-taught! There is a lot of trial and error when I work on a new piece, so each one is a new learning experience.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I honestly don't know! I try to take things one day at a time. I hope that maybe in five years I will have a few more stamps in my passport, and a few more tacky-tourist snow globes in my possession.
9. What about in ten?Luxuriating in my hoard of tacky-tourist snow globes.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Honestly? Personal satisfaction. I'm never truly satisfied with what I create, and I'm always striving for perfection. One day I hope to be able to look at something I created and think it's perfect.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Pizza is eternal.
12. Favourite book?Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer.
13. Favourite genre of music?At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Dark Synthwave. Carpenter Brut is on my playlist a lot.
14. What are your hobbies?Long boarding (when the weather is nice), visiting art galleries, traveling to new places, playing video games, watching horror movies, reading in coffee shops, and baking delicious food that is terribly unhealthy.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Hahaha, I'll let you know when I figure that out!