Instagram: @viv.shih Website: www.vivianshih.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I grew up in a suburban town surrounded by hills and oaks trees in Ventura County. I now live in East LA where I get the best of both city life and nature.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My style is expressive and intuitive and I enjoy playing with transparency and lines.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favorite medium is acrylic ink because it allows me to play with overlapping and water textures, as well as transform into something more opaque when used with minimum water.
4. What is your artistic process like?I always start with writing which helps me get into a specific zone. Once I have some ideas churning in my head, I do thumbnails of rough sketches from which I will choose a couple to bring to tighter drawings before working on a final painting or illustration.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I am inspired by the humanity of people, inspiring women, nature, and other forms of self expression including music, fashion and writing.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is a way for me to explore emotions or subjects of interest that catch my attention. It is others can view the world through my eyes. Viewing other people's artwork gives me unique perspectives on the world different than my own.
7. Where did you study?Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I would love to continue what I do now, working on illustrations and personal artwork, but would love to be a part of an illustration agency and working on larger projects that bring my work to life.
9. What about in ten?Still on the same world, but branch out my work into different medias and collaborations with designers. I also hope to start a platform and lifestyle magazine one day focused on sustainability in urban culture and fashion.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Emotional connection and insight.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Chocolate.
12. Favourite book?Currently loving Norwegian Wood by Murakami.
13. Favourite genre of music?Neo-soul.
14. What are your hobbies?Yoga, writing, thrift shopping, exploring coffee shops to find the next best chai latte.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Yoga instructor.