Instagram: @allenvanluu Twitter: @allenvanluu Website: www.allenvanluu.com
1.What's your story? Where are you from?Hi! After graduating college in Austin, I moved to Brooklyn two weeks later. I had no job and barely any money. It kicked my ass. I was too young and blissfully ignorant to know any better. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Somewhere along the way doing graphic design as a career, I started teaching myself illustration. I ended up freelancing the fashion industry doing illustrations for apparel and packaging. After 12 years in the city, I decided it was time to leave. I decided to move back to Texas and now I’m doing illustrations in a closet converted into a studio.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I would say my aesthetic is minimal, flat with a little bit of outsider art sprinkled in.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I sketch with a pencil and paper and then I work mainly on my tablet and computer. Favorite medium is probably pencil. I love the feel of paper and I like how I can’t undo my sketches with a pencil.
4. What is your artistic process like?Research is a big part of my process. Once, I realize what I am working with, I will sketch and sketch and hopefully land on something I can refine. Lately, I have been experimenting more than usual with getting out of my comfort zone. Lots of bumping around in the dark.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?It doesn’t always show in my work but I would say rap, comedy, basketball, food and documentaries are usually reliable sources of inspiration for me. I will always have a love affair with mid-century art and design.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I see art as something I just do. I feel like I don’t have a choice in the matter. Once I accepted that truth, my life has been much more pleasant.
7. Where did you study?I studied advertising at the University of Texas in Austin. I taught myself illustration and design and I still try to learn new things to keep it interesting.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Hopefully, I will have a bigger studio and some picture books published. I am in the midst of planning one as we speak.
9. What about in ten?In ten years, I hope to be travelling more and doing more paintings.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?If I can make someone smile or spark some sort of inspiration or thought, that would be fantastic.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Vietnamese and Mexican.
12. Favourite book??I like non-fiction books.
13. Favourite genre of music??Rap when I have a deadline. Podcasts and NPR otherwise.
14. What are your hobbies?I love road trips and antiquing. I like finding dirty bikes and trying to fix them. Swimming laps is my latest thing.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would be making documentaries.
Comments are closed.