Instagram: @allierunnion Website: www.allierunnion.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I grew up in a small town near Boston. I went to school for illustration and spent several years working as a graphic designer and art director. I am now focusing on surface pattern design and illustration. I live in Southern Maine with my husband Dave and our rescue dog Evie.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My work is generally bright and cheerful. I love color and have a hard time not using it. I’ve recently been using lots of texture in my work. My love of plants and animals is usually pretty evident as well.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I love drawing in charcoal because it allows me to draw fast and not tighten up which usually results in better drawings.
4. What is your artistic process like?When I come up with an idea, I do lots of photo research for reference and visual inspiration. Sometimes I make pinterest boards of what I find. I’m frequently experimenting with different ways of working, but lately I am drawing/painting on cheap paper. I do lots of drawings at this stage so I have many options to work with. I then scan them in, adjust colors and compose my pattern or illustration in photoshop.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I love treasure hunting and have amassed a large collection of vintage illustration, particularly from the 50s and 60s, that is always inspiring me. I also love to pour over old reference books of plants, animals and other topics to get ideas.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I think the process of making keeps me sane. If I go a long time without making something I feel down and it’s much harder to feel inspired and get back to work. As a visual person, I am also constantly absorbing and taking in my surroundings. I think a lot of that eventually finds its way back out through my work.
7. Where did you study?Rhode Island School of Design (Illustration and English)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I love what I am doing now but I’d be excited to see my designs in more places, on products, and in stores. I just want to keep making work. In the last 6 months I’ve made a point to make something every day, even if it’s horrible. It’s so simple, but it’s been pretty life changing. The more work I make, the more I learn and grow and ultimately get better at what I do. So I’m excited to see how my work will evolve and change in 5 years.
9. What about in ten?Same as above!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to make work that makes people smile. I want to make things that people want to bring home to brighten their lives.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Does coffee count?? No? Then pie. Coffee and pie.
12. Favourite book?We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. I recently discovered her work and it is just stunning.
13. Favourite genre of music?This is the hardest question. I like so many different things! But if I had to choose I’d say folk/pop/motown from the 50s and 60s.
14. What are your hobbies?Horseback riding, playing with my dog, learning about plants I find in my backyard, cooking new recipes.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?If I couldn’t make things, I’d probably work in animal rescue or with horses.