1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hey, I'm Hye-Young, Jeong and I live in South Korea. My first memory of art is that I painted graffiti on a piece of the calendar with my cousin. Since then, painting has been enjoyable. When I was in high school, I learnt to draw from a teacher. At that time, I felt it was beyond my ability. Because it was like work or achievement for getting into a college of Fine Arts, not a play. I worked at a design company for a few months to specialize my field of expertise but this field was not my thing. So I taught children, sketching and painting together. After starting the new job, I realize that I liked painting.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I try to express feelings and emotions through the girls in my painting. When I express my feelings, I describe vividly facial expression or background. The emotions that we feel every day are very important but sometimes we just conceal our feelings. I want to express these feelings using the girls.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I normally use watercolours and markers. I especially like the texture of the brush.
4. What is your artistic process like?I do my work while listening to music. I make a pencil sketch and then paint the picture. After finish the basic work, I will revise my work on a computer.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I get my inspiration from music or a novel. When I read a great book or listen to music, I get inspired.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is my life goal and my life direction. It makes me a better person.
7. Where did you study?I studied textile fashion design. I had a really good experience at university but I've learnt something more useful, which is to teach children.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I don't know. I don't want to belong to any club but I want to belong to any place.
9. What about in ten?I think it is hard to anticipate what is to come.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to be sure of my work. I want to relieve the pressure and pain from anxiety.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I like Korean barbecue and fried chicken. I love all kind of delicious food.
12. Favourite book?No Longer Human by Dazai Osamu, Demian by Hermann Hesse, The moon and Sixpence by William Somerset Maugham
13. Favourite genre of music?I don't mind any genres of music. I tend to focus on the lyrics. Recently I enjoy listening to music by OOHYO
14. What are your hobbies?I love books and music. Also, I like shopping.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Maybe I won't know who am I. Because I've got to know myself better, stretching and painting.
Comments are closed.