Instagram: @asami_hattori Tumblr: asamihattori.tumblr.com Website: asamihattori.cc
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m Asami Hattori. I’m an illustrator from Tokyo,Japan.I was born and raised in Yokohama city, Kanagawa and I moved to Saitama where my family still lives.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic could be summarized as having a soft,natural,abstract and nostalgic atmosphere.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I especially love working by hand. I find watercolor bleeding sometimes unpredictable.I love the surprising effects.
4. What is your artistic process like?I get inspiration from taking a walk, watching movies,travelling,music and the four distinct seasons of Japan.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I’m inspired by vintage and antique botanical art books, illustrations dictionary,Neo-expressionism,Tom Wesselman,Iela Mari…so many things.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is essential to my life.It is a tool for me to live honestly and true feeling freely.
7. Where did you study?I studied graphic design in Tokyo.Then I went to university where I studied Philosophy but I dropped out and started my career as an illustrator.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?In five years, hopefully I’ll be living in the U.K.and I’d like to be an successful illustrator there.
9. What about in ten?I haven’t thought about 10 years from now. I hope to be living happily somewhere.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to make a children’s book loved by people all over the world.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love tomatoes, lemons and Japanese spiny lobster!one of the meals I love must is grilled lobster with white wine♡
12. Favourite book?”Coffee House”by Akio Kobayashi,”Animali nel Prato”by Iela Mari,"Simulacres et simulation"by Jean Baudrillard
13. Favourite genre of music?Modern Jazz, 60’s R&B,Classic.
14. What are your hobbies?I love traveling, movies, wine, books music and playing clarinet.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would probably be a graphic designer or librarian.