Instagram: @bang.sang Website: www.bangsangho.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I am an illustrator based in Korea. I mainly do art activities such as illustrations, graphic design, video, and painting.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My work is explained through the situation of my planet, the times and space. I have created numerous holes in the planets to create an infinite and unordered world. A hole acts as a path through time and space. We can go anywhere and become anything through the hole on the planet. I look into the hole, I feel like I’m traveling through the unknown world I’ve created.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Since I usually use digital as a client task, I have continued to practice drawing on canvas whenever I have time. The feeling of painting was so different from digital that it was interesting. So, from now on, I will concentrate on painting. I like to make videos in digital work. Recently, I had a lot to produce short videos, but I felt limited in expressing them in 3D and thought that I should study 3D modeling or movement more. Overall, I think I’m interested in the media that can produce the image in my head as similar as possible, and the new media that I haven't experienced yet.
4. What is your artistic process like?Usually, when I have an idea, I make the most perfect pencil sketch. And I choose the media that will best match the sketch. There is no particular process for determining colors. Just I fill up the image with all the colors I like. :-) When I complete a piece, I tend to pay more attention to the layout, color, overall atmosphere, than to any story or meaning.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I will be inspired by almost everything in my daily life, but I am most inspired by music. The beat or rhythm of music reminds me of an image and I can see the image change depending on the feeling of music.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?To put it mildly, I think it's all. I've been painting since I was very young and I've lived out of it for granted. I drew pictures like a habit when I was happy or depressed.
7. Where did you study?I majored in visual design in my undergraduate program. I always wanted to learn painting in my mind when I was in college. Before graduation, I regretted my choice of major. But now, I think majoring in design is a big advantage. This is because it can be used without any qualms about different media and media.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Maybe after 5years, I'm a bit more professional in what I'm doing!
9. What about in ten?I really like to learn something. I'm focusing on creating art now. After 10 years, I will have many hobbies such as making music or making crafts. And I really want to have a nice solo exhibition then.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I used to paint because I was just having fun. Now, I hope I can share not only with myself but also with others through art. My short-term goal is to create as many images as possible of the planets I have created. I want to set a clear view of the world on this planet and get people to understand it.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Chocolate :-)
12. Favourite book?Haruki Murakami - ‘Kafka on the Shore’
13. Favourite genre of music?I enjoy listening to the genre of ‘Trip-hop’ or ‘Lo-fi’. but I listen to the genre of music evenly. I also listen to electronic, hip-hop and K-pop depending on the situation.
14. What are your hobbies?In the past, I used to enjoy making clothes and bags using sewing machines. I used my artwork to sell goods. Since then, making goods felt like a 'work' and could no longer be a hobby. but, I sketched the idea when it came to me. It is planning to make goods again soon.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think the greatest blessing in my life is that there is something I certainly like. So, if I am a person who has something special that I like, it doesn't really matter if the job isn't an artist.