Instagram: @blandinelamy Facebook: www.facebook.com/blandinelamyillustration
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m 22 and I am a french graphic student based in Paris. When someone ask me where I am from, I answer «here and there » ! I come from Pays Basque and I do love this place ! But since my childhood I always moved to different locations as Djibouti and Mali in Africa, Reunion Island and few cities in France as Anglet a Basque country town between Biarritz and Bayonne. I’m delighted to discover all those places because I think they influence my work and give me the desire to move again and take inspiration from new skyline.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Until the age of 20 years, I loved to do very realistic drawing and painting. I made a lot of landscapes and still life. But more recently I rushed into my own design of illustrations. I leave details and depth and I put white spaces between the abstract shapes I make to highlight each elements of the illustration. I also created my color range using bright colors ! My subjects began to be landscape from travel I made during the holidays or the weekend and also places I really want to discover as California and its palm trees. I don’t know why but I’m very fond of palm trees, it makes me feel happy and peaceful ! Such a vegetal is amazing, it’s very funny to find various shapes to represent it. Long live to palm trees!
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Paint without any doubt ! It can’t be compared to other techniques, it’s old as the world and that for many reasons. This technique gives to the user a feeling of liberty and gives desire to express himself. Particularly, the color and the texture of paint is unrivalled ! Then nowadays, there is plenty of beautiful choices of painting colors you can use directly without any mixing. It’s just wonderful!
4. What is your artistic process like?I don’t have really any artistic process. It’s more about feeling ! Sometimes, I directly paint a view in front of me. Sometimes, I take inspiration from fashion magazines to find colors, compositions or clothes inspiring me. Sometimes, I think about a friend, a fragment of wall or anything else and I begin to establish sketch.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Henri Matisse, David Hockney, Paul Cox, … and landscapes, interior design, trendy clothes brands, …
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is something with which I live every day. It’s my studies, my work, my hobby, my passion and quite a way of thinking. Sometimes, when I take a walk I have fun to imagine world as an illustration !
7. Where did you study?I’m still studying in EPSAA, a graphic design school in Paris.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hard to answer this question because I think about millions of exciting things ! Why not, be in a cool place, with a personal studio in front of the sea working on illustrations, creating design objects, clothes and decorate them with my style and especially without forgetting a little jump in the sea from time to time.
9. What about in ten?Retirement !
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?To take people out of themselves and bring happiness and colors into their interiors. Colors in a house change everything !
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Home-made burger !
12. Favourite book?Le petit livre des couleurs : very instructive !
13. Favourite genre of music?Pop, rock, zouk !
14. What are your hobbies?Travel : when I find a good opportunity (and money!) I leave my home and go for a trip ! Board sports, especially surf : I love to slide on water, and surpass myself to thrill ! I also rediscovering the pleasure of running and I’m preparing for races too.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A doctor. I think that is a beautiful vocation !