Instagram: @carolinederveaux Website: www.carolinederveaux.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m from Paris but I’ve been living in London for six years. I paint on everything around me: canvas, paper, wood, cardboard, walls and found objects.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Childlike and playful. I’m obsessed with pastel colours from my childhood and geometric shapes.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Wood objects that I find in the street and pizza boxes. I want to embellish them in order to give them a second life as art.
4. What is your artistic process like?I never sketch, I go straight into a painting and follow my intuition. This process helps me not question myself too much and there is definitely something therapeutic in it.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Niki de Saint-Phalle, Natalie du Pasquier, Michael Craig-Martin, Grayson Perry, any artists having fun really. I also love furniture design made by Gerrit Rietveld, George Sowden and Verner Panton.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It makes life playful, colourful and fun to live. Seeing those colours everyday makes me more cheerful.
7. Where did you study?I did an MA Fine Art at Chelsea UAL.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I see myself still as an independent but working on bigger project.
9. What about in ten?I see myself still as an independent but working on colossal project!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Give them this feeling of nostalgia and self-reflection, and if a smile comes with it, that’s even better.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Anything orange.
12. Favourite book?Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov to read, Don’t take these drawings seriously by Natalie du Pasquier to dream.
13. Favourite genre of music?I love post-punk wave from early 80s.
14. What are your hobbies?I’m trying to cook something new everyday at the moment.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A psychiatrist.