Instagram: @claireshadomy Facebook: www.facebook.com/Claire-Shadomy-Illustration-908327435937307 Website: www.claireshadomy.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in Corvallis, Oregon then spent the majority of my childhood in a small town in North Carolina. I moved to Asheville, NC for college in 2011 and have been here ever since.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic was serious and realistic for most of my life but in the past year I have been trying to take a less serious approach. I’ve been allowing myself to be playful, use all the colors I want and not to overthink it too much.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Gouache for sure. I like the graphic opaque quality.
4. What is your artistic process like?I have an on going list of inspiration in the notes on my phone I seem to get the best ideas when I am trying to fall asleep at night and I get scared I will forget them, and a sketch book I keep with me so I can doodle when I get an idea. I also have a collection of images I’m always adding to that inspire me. So I usually go back and read what I have written down or look at sketches when I’m ready to create. I always hand draw everything I do first, sometimes I leave it at that and other times I scan the images and add to them/clean them up and and color in illustrator.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Honestly dogs are a big inspiration haha, all animals really, the people I’m around, I have a lot of creative friends, old images I find in books, plants of all kinds, I also do graphic design work on the side so I have an appreciation for beautiful packaging, lettering and things of that nature. The artists I have been looking at the most recently are Leah Goren & Jean Jullien I’m always trying to find different artists to look at.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art has been a priorty for me my entire life. If I’m not making it then I’m not myself and I am not happy. I grew up always being encouraged to create and it’s just something I can’t imagine not doing.
7. Where did you study?I studied drawing at the University of North Carolina at Asheville
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I hope I can live as a freelancer, have a longer list of clients haha. I hope to have traveled quite a bit more by then. I would be thrilled to work for an agency, or even have my own. I’m open to different possibilities.
9. What about in ten?I can’t even think that far ahead…
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I don’t have a specific thing I am trying to achieve. I hope my work brings joy to other people and that I continue to enjoy creating it. It’s how I express myself so it is ever changing.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I am obsessed with smoothies, but also Thai food and sushi. Too hard to decide.
12. Favourite book?Any by David Sedaris
13. Favourite genre of music?That’s a tough one, I guess mostly indie.
14. What are your hobbies?Drawing, painting, practicing illustrator/photoshop, reading, listening to podcasts constantly, going to movies, attempting to cook, attempting to workout haha, sewing, crochet, cross stitch, thrifting, planning trips, planning parties, hanging out with my dog and all dogs really I could go on forever.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?No ideas, I’ve never had a back up plan haha.
Comments are closed.