Instagram: @dchen Twitter: @davechenell Dribbble: www.dribbble.com/dchen Soundlcoud: www.soundcloud.com/arthur
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Born and raised in Connecticut, United States. I spent about 5 years living and working in NYC before moving out to California last year.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Hmm, that’s a hard thing to describe in words. I think in general my style is just made up of the things I’m inspired by. A mix of minimal, science fiction, eastern culture, 80s, subtle, emotional. I was really into film growing up and always thought I wanted to be cinematographer, so I think that conceptual framing and composition comes into play a lot.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Digital art of all kinds. I wish I could say something cooler like moss infused organic clays. I discovered art through computers, and I’m particularly drawn to art where the computer is integral in the process, such as programming or generative art. My hands are rather clumsy and don’t know how to make things look good without computers. That is something I hope I can work on in the future :)
4. What is your artistic process like?Really all over the place. All I can say about it is it involves a mix of raw creation, then editing, removing, revising, repeat x100.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Oh man, inspiration is everywhere. From nature, to friends/people, to world events/culture, to the work of other artists. I think cultivating + recognizing inspiration is a skill that takes practice and is something I’m constantly working on.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I would say it plays a huge role. As a creator I’m always trying to think how I can mix my experiences and insights into new things. I think it also helps me relate to trying to put effort into understanding and appreciating all the other artists out there (and throughout history) who have created things beyond themselves.
7. Where did you study?Syracuse University, my degree is in information studies (but I snuck into a lot of the art and engineering classes)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Yikes, that's a hard one, I like to take life one day at a time so I don’t know if I can have a reasonable answer to that question. Hopefully not working at an agency ;)
9. What about in ten?Hopefully creatively satisfied with what I’ve done in the previous 10 years and motivated to take it to the next level in the following 10 years.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I think having anything I make cause an emotional response in other humans in ways that words alone cannot fully achieve. That is an extremely overwhelming feeling. That would be all I can ask for.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Cereal, the more sugary the better :)
12. Favourite book?Cormac McCarthy - The Road. I love how raw and realistic it is.
13. Favourite genre of music?It changes often, but i’m currently into weird minimal electronic drum chime.
14. What are your hobbies?Music production, programming, game dev, hiking + cliff jumping.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Carpenter or landscaper. I would want to work with my hands and build physical things.
Comments are closed.