Instagram: @doblon Website: www.mizusawasora.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi, I’m Sora Mizusawa. I was born in Hakodate, Hokkaido Prefecture. The northernmost island in Japan. And there is a lot of nature there. My mom had a big love for picture books, so our house was always overflowing with a lot of picture books. Looking back now, great nature and picture books, I was deeply affected by these points. And when I was 18 years old, I advanced to art school and moved to Tokyo.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I never really thought about it, but I’ve been trying to paint within 4 or 5 colors. it suits me well.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Japanese watercolor called “Gansai”. I use normal watercolors as well, but in my opinion, Gansai is coarser and stronger than the normal ones. So, I’ve been using it mainly.
4. What is your artistic process like?It’s very simple. I always start off a sketch with a pencil before ideas coming up. and Once I got wonderful ideas, Trace it, and draw it.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?There are roughly 2 things, I’ve always been inspired by pioneers of modern illustrations like Push Pin Studios. I also really like Henry Darger and Raymond Pettibon. The other thing is music. I’m a big fan of 60s Beat/Psych music and Punk/NW music from the 70s to 80s.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Drawing is my life. It is not only a job for me but also a natural thing like breathing.
7. Where did you study?I graduated from Vantan Design Institute, Tokyo. and after that, I entered illustration school called MJ Illustrations, founded by Toru Minegishi, a Japanese illustrator.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hmm….. I haven't the slightest idea. One thing I can say for sure is that I will continue to draw illustrations.
9. What about in ten?I have absolutely no idea. I’m sure I grow older and still working as a professional illustrator.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your artMy work is mostly for book illustrations. So I would like to broaden my range of work like advertisement or music.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Totally Sushi.
12. Favourite book?The all works of Yasushi Sato, a Japanese novelist, who took his own life in 1990. He and I both come from the same place.
13. Favourite genre of music?My taste of music are of bands like THE STOOGES, MINUTEMEN, MISSION OF BURMA, WIRE, RED CLAYOLA, THE CONTORTIONS, THE EX, SONIC YOUTH, THE POP GROUP and some Free Jazz.
14. What are your hobbies?Collecting records, and cooking while drinking wine.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Rocker……. or Chef.
Comments are closed.