1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi,I’m Run Wu, I grew up in a small town in China, moved to Australia when I was 18, currently based in Sydney working as a Motion Designer/Animator/Illustrator. As a kid, I would draw stick figures on my dad’s photo books, and random patterns everywhere, in high school I wanted to be a graffiti artist , got expelled from high school for spray painting my “art” on a school wall. Regretted not going to art school, still regretting, and will be regretting for the rest of my life, haha.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Cubism definitely has a very strong influence on my work, Im’ very conscious of my composition , still developing my style, so its hard to say.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Digitally with a tablet, because its quicker to come up with color combinations and easier to revise my work.
4. What is your artistic process like?I’m quite spontaneous ,whenever I get inspired either from things on the internet or from real life, I would usually sketch them on paper in one go, and when I do the colouring I’d like to start and then walk away from it , sleep on it and come back to it few days later, topple a few unpleasant element and sometime reconstruct the work if need be.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Anything indie , retro and obscure, old Japanese black and white cinema, Francis Bacon, Anthony Lister, MTV ident, Architecture, MF DOOM, sound art, theatre design, fashion, alternative youth culture .
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is an escape and even a religion for me, it helps me through difficult times thinking that it will change my life one day one way or another. Every stroke and how I present the color is a manifestation of how I see the world in a subconscious way.It’s a vehicle for me to channel all my emotions and feelings of the moment when I created the piece. I respect people who respect the craft.and hate anything that is money driven.
7. Where did you study?University of Wollongong in Wollongong.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Few awards under my belt either in Animation or Illustration, becoming an art director.
9. What about in ten?If I’m still a shitty little local illustrator or animator in 10 years, I would be so disappointed at myself, so hopefully I would become someone important in the industry or direct music videos.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Connect with other like-minded people, and hopefully influence other people’s work one day, haha.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Chicken Katsudon, could eat that thing every day.
12. Favourite book?I'm more of a book hoarder than a reader, but my favourite book so far is Divine Comedy by Dante
13. Favourite genre of music?I’m going through phases, it used to be Hip-hop, then Jazz , Electronic music , World music, but now the music I would play all day is Classical, it really sooth my mind, cause when I was a kid ,my neighbour was a piano teacher, and I would hear him play classical all the time, it kinda brings me back to those days.
14. What are your hobbies?Used to be playing soccer, then I got fat, nobody would pass the ball to me no more, skated for a while when I was a teen until I dislocated my arm while skating, now my hobbies is watching movies, art house mostly, I'm quite a cinephile.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?This is a really hard question haha, but I would probably be running a street wear store.
Comments are closed.