Instagram: @einavvaisman Website: www.einavvaisman.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I grew up in Ashqelon, a small city on the south of the Israeli coastline. For my studies, I moved to Jerusalem and graduated in Visual Communication from Bezalel Academy of Art and Design. I currently work as a freelance illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I like bright colors and textures that resemble prints and traditional techniques.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I like to use both pencil-and-paper and digital work. I think they both have advantages that I don’t want to miss out on. I like the classic feeling of drawing on paper and the interaction of the graphite with different kinds of paper. On the other hand, digital drawing allows for so much flexibility and experimentation! That’s why I usually try to have both.
4. What is your artistic process like?I begin researching the subject of the illustration and going through tons of reference material. When my idea for the illustration is established I start drawing a sketch on paper, which I then scan. I continue to work on screen, drawing, adding cool textures and coloring.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I am inspired by ethnic arts and stories of different cultures, especially Native American and African. The characters I draw are usually inspired by ancient ceremonial masks. I love taking walks in the archaeology wing in the Israeli National Museum for inspiration and idea.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I think that it is amazing how potent illustration is as a method of communication. It allows you to convey a message without being restricted by divides of language, age or culture and that way you can bring people together and even solve problems that are rooted in miscommunication.
7. Where did you study?I studied visual communication in Bezalel Academy of Art and Design and animation in Musrara Academy.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?My main challenge right now is to make a living out of commissioned illustrations. I feel like I’m on the right track and hopefully, in 5 years time, I will be an experienced full-time illustrator.
9. What about in ten?I dream of an illustration studio of my own with a talented team and lots of cactus plants.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope my art can form a bridge between people and content, to allow them to explore different cultures and help people communicate their ideas in a more efficient way.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Everything evolving carbohydrates I guess…
12. Favourite book?Blanket, a graphic novel by Craig Thompson.
13. Favourite genre of music?Indie rock and pop.
14. What are your hobbies?Movies, animated series (Adventure Time especially), nature walks and collecting illustration books.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A cat.
Comments are closed.