Instagram: @elenaboils Twitter: @elenaBoils Website: www.elenaboils.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm an illustrator who was born in Mexico. But I have been based in the UK for the last eight years. Currently I am dividing my time between them, trying to avoid the English winter.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think I would describe my work as colourful, I think that is a main driving force by which I make images.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Well I wouldn't say I have a favourite but currently I've been playing with felt tip colour pens and really enjoying it. Though my work is mostly digital I love the process of working with pen and paper, especially as an exploration into making an image
4. What is your artistic process like?I like to combine traditional mediums such as fine-liner pens and brush pens with digital tools, such as photoshop or illustrator. I don't have a preference on wether things are made physically or digital I like to use both processes and then combine them.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I'm really inspired by places, especially the details, little moments in a building or a room that look as if they could be staged. In terms of other artists, there are so many to name but a few key artists include; Hockney, Morandi, Erich Heckel, Giorgio de Chirico, Elsworth Kelly and so many more.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I think there is an aesthetic sense in which art gives us pleasure without really knowing why. But then there is also a sense that it allows us to look at things differently out of the context of everyday light. I think for me it is a mixture of these two things.
7. Where did you study?Falmouth University/ Central Saint Martins
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Probably still doing illustration, maybe expanding and experimenting with other areas. I also want to do a PHD, eventually.
9. What about in ten?Hopefully having done a PHD, but still making images (ideally in a super cool treehouse studio).
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to make an image that is both pleasing to look at and interesting in content. I think the purpose changes between work that is commissioned, where the goal is to solve a problem by creating an image to communicate an idea and more personal work born from a need to express ideas.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I will never say no to pasta.
12. Favourite book?There is no way I can answer that, I think there are so many. Some recent good ones I've read and recommend would be; Travels with Charley (Steinbeck), The War at the End of the World (Mario Vargas LLosa), Henry and June (Anais Nin) & The Moon and Sixpence (S. Maugham)
13. Favourite genre of music?Well I'm not one of those people who is really into their genre of music I think I like a bit of everything.
14. What are your hobbies?I've just started doing yoga, which I guess is a hobby since I'm not very good at it. I also love reading and walking around with nowhere to go.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A writer I would love to write novels.
Comments are closed.