1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi there, i am Elina Ulvio, a designer from Helsinki, Finland, with a background in architecture.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.The combination of my passions is recognisable in my work, where space and form meet bringing a supplemental dimension to furniture. My design is described as functional art, adding a unique edge to furniture while supplying it with useful features.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Every medium inspires me and i appreciate them all as channels for a common language of the art that is life.
4. What is your artistic process like?I always challenge myself into finding enough reasons for producing a new product. The design has to be enough of everything to justify itself in a world where no more stuff is needed. For me it is only by careful multifunctionalist thinking and using art as an important, durable value that i start believing in an emerging idea all the way. I think the modern challenge for design is that it has to be more than just furniture, otherwise it represents disposable, unethical waste in the long run. There is enough of that.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Nature, art and optimism. The thought that we can make the best out of what we know. Idealism becoming realism. Bold people and acts for achieving noble goals.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I feel that art is like an inexhaustible source of energy to us all.
7. Where did you study?Aalto university school of arts, design and architecture.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Working with my art and enjoying life with family and friends.
9. What about in ten?Working with my art and enjoying life with family and friends.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?To help people enjoy the beauty of life.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love food, all kinds of it.
12. Favourite book?Pollyanna.
13. Favourite genre of music?I love all kind of music and my soft spot is the Pet Shop Boys.
14. What are your hobbies?Dance, food, music, art.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I honestly have no idea.
Comments are closed.